• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just bought a new pair of shoes (pictures will be posted). My right foot is slightly smaller than my left, as a result the right shoe slips off a little bit.

What would be the best remedy? An insole? Heel grip?

Thanks
smile.gif

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My right foot is a half size larger and 1 width larger than my right.

But I don't have the issue of one shoe slipping off.

I don't suggest you use insoles - since that will make your footing uneven. I would suggest those pads you place under the tongue, I think they are called tongue pad.

If temperature allows, I would think thicker socks is probably the easiest method.

Flanderian

Reaction score
It should break in to fit, particularly if they're laced. But it you wish, you could add a heel pad. My right foot is slightly more than a 1/2 size smaller than my left, but I can usually wear the same size on both feet comfortably. Futures options in addition to bespoke, might include an MTO program such as Allen Edmonds that allows you to order different sized shoes for each foot.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
They are loafers so no luck with them being laced. I will try a heel pad + tongue thing and see what happens. Any other suggestions very welcome.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size are you Dave? My right foot is slightly larger than my left - maybe we could share purchases! In all seriousness though, I think the tongue pad sounds like the best option. I've just avoided loafer for years now.

glenjay

Reaction score
Actually, almost everyone has one foot slightly longer than the other. The difference is usually less than half a shoe size so it does not need to be addressed in most cases. The longer foot is usually the opposite of your predominate hand, so if you are right handed your left foot is longer. In some cases one foot can be thicker than the other, usually the same side as the predominate hand, but not always.

Most people are surprised to find out how different their feet really are the first time they get measured for bespoke shoes.

Complicating this whole foot length issue is the fact that shoes are designed to fit from the back of the heel to the ball of the foot, not to the end of the toe. You want your heel to sit in the heel cup as best you can, so I would suggest a tongue pad as opposed to a heel pad or a padded insole.

sborg

Reaction score
Try using an insole see how it feels.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Generally, speaking using an insole to correct fit problems is not a good idea. It will reduce the volume inside the shoe, cramp the toes and most importantly, it will change the heel to hall relationship and throw that fit completely out of whack.

And if the shoe is so big that the foot can tolerate an additional insole, it's not even close to a fit.

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reviving this thread as I'm in the midst of shoe-shopping for a pair that fits my mismatched feet.

Can anyone list the brands that allow you to order different sizes between your left and right foot for a MTO pair of shoes? I know Allen Edmonds allows this, but I have enough AE in my collection (and they fit well enough that I don't need a MTO pair). I've read that Alfred Sargent only allows this for their Handgrade line at a pretty steep price (like $1,200+), which I can't afford just yet. Ideally, I would like to spend around $500 to $650 ($750 max) on a MTO pair of shoes.

Maybe if there's enough of us with this problem, we can get a GMTO going
smile.gif

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

leetpuma

Reaction score
My two cents get a size that fits best

And then get an shoe stretcher + streching liquid to get them to fit.

You can strecth in with by about .5-1 sizes.

Chowkin

Reaction score
Reviving this thread as I'm in the midst of shoe-shopping for a pair that fits my mismatched feet.

Can anyone list the brands that allow you to order different sizes between your left and right foot for a MTO pair of shoes? I know Allen Edmonds allows this, but I have enough AE in my collection (and they fit well enough that I don't need a MTO pair). I've read that Alfred Sargent only allows this for their Handgrade line at a pretty steep price (like $1,200+), which I can't afford just yet. Ideally, I would like to spend around $500 to $650 ($750 max) on a MTO pair of shoes.

Maybe if there's enough of us with this problem, we can get a GMTO going
smile.gif

I'm sure with MTOs you can order different sizes for yoru left & right feet. Have you tried Meermin?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics