• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One flannel suit - which color?

ezwicky

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am thinking about having an English flannel suit made, one which I could split up as separates but maybe more often be worn as a suit. I don't wear suits for work, so this would get worn five times a year maybe, to concerts and nice dinners in the colder months.

What color would you all recommend? I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Eric Zwicky
Richmond VA

Reaction score
1st Navy> 2nd Charcoal>Medium Gray>Brown. I have an "off-navy" already but, I'm going to get a brown one this fall.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am thinking about having an English flannel suit made, one which I could split up as separates but maybe more often be worn as a suit. I don't wear suits for work, so this would get worn five times a year maybe, to concerts and nice dinners in the colder months.

What color would you all recommend? I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Eric Zwicky
Richmond VA
Navy. But don't break it up as a separate pseudo-sportcoat. It's likely going to look like an orphaned suit jacket.

mlstein

Reaction score
Navy. But don't break it up as a separate pseudo-sportcoat. It's likely going to look like an orphaned suit jacket.
If you have it made with patch pockets it can definitely be separated and used on its own. Flannel is less formal to begin with and the patch pockets would allow it to work both ways.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
I wouldn't do that. A flannel navy suit shouldn't have patch pockets. You seem to be suggesting that with patch pockets, it'll look more like a sports jacket. But the problem is, in doing so, it will also look less like a suit jacket. Don't try to skimp and have the jacket do double duty. Design the suit to look like a suit, not some hybrid thing to try to make it work two ways, because in trying to work two ways, you risk it working in "no" ways. Have it as a suit, worn only as a suit, with appropriate pockets, buttons, etc. to reflect that. Later on, after you've saved enough money, buy yourself a nice sports jacket to (you guessed it) only function as a sports jacket.

ezwicky

Reaction score
Later on, after you've saved enough money, buy yourself a nice sports jacket to (you guessed it) only function as a sports jacket.

I should probably have mentioned that I have a navy blazer, a brown houndstooth woolen sports jacket, a charcoal fresco sports jacket and a blue textured linen-wool melange sports jacket (looks sort-of denim-ish).

Also lots of jeans and chinos but no woolen trousers.

loarbmhs

Reaction score
You've made my point even easier to go with. Meaning, you already have several nice sports jackets—you have no reason to be tempted to have the navy suit I've recommended do double duty as a navy sports jacket when you already have a navy sports jacket. So again, at the risk of redundancy, buy a suit, and wear it only as a suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads