1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

One evening in Prague - what should I see, where should I go?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by gdl203, Feb 19, 2010.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I thought you don't drink.
    What makes you think that?
    I was there not long ago, very beautiful and charming. When you will be there? I pigged out ordering a pig knuckle, huge portion, it was braised to almost fall off the bone tender then roasted until the skin was crispy. I didn't remember the restaurant name but thanks to Google map I am able to track it down: www.svejk.cz‎ at 20 Široká just off Parizska, the main shopping street.
    Thanks for the suggestion (link doesn't work for me though). I'll be there on Monday

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

http://www.pragueexperience.com/maps...sp?PlaceID=598

Greg,

if you have 2 hours, here's what you do - get a taxi to drop you off in the old town square. if you can do it to corespond with the top of the hour, see the clock ring.

walk around the square, there is an interesting monument to the anti-catholic czech rebel leader.

then walk from there to winseslous square. at more or less the northwest corner of winseslous square, there is a side street that leads off to one of my favorite places in the world.

http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=649

if you stand in this spot, there are several very cool early 20th centrury buildings, a midevil building and a renasaince building in your view.

there are a number of small pubs type places to eat along this route, as well as suages places on winseslous square.

http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=1008

while urquell is fantastic, there are also some beers that are very good that you simply won't have heard of. in terms of what to eat - I would try czech style gulash (maybe they call it prague style gulash, but it is gulash with a piece of roast sausage in it) and bread dumplings. frankly, probrably not the best meal you willl ever have, but worth trying once.

if you have maybe 3 hours, maybe 4, do the same thing, but have the taxi drop you at the castle, then walk down and cross the river over the charles bridge, then continue.

have fun.

3. gdl203

Thanks all for the suggestions.

[​IMG]

4. Tcameron

Tcameron Senior member

I know your opportunity may have come and gone but I went to Bar and Books (There are two in total in Prague); which was pretty nice. Perhaps not the most authentic spot as it is a shoot off of a small chain in New York. But maybe a place to get a nice drink before moving on to your 1 Euro liter of Pilsner Urquell. http://www.barandbooks.cz/manesova/

5. GlenCoe

GlenCoe Senior member

I would suggest you to quickly go through the Old town sq, Charles bridge and usual stuff (the most crowded place in Prague) and rather hang out in the Mala strana. You can find both authencity and class over there. It is the place where Soderbergh's Kafka was shot.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. For beer - fuck Budweiser, you can drink that shit anywhere in the world, go for local beers (Pilsner Urquel, Staropramen, Cerna Hora etc.) or local Absinth (Staroplzenecky Absinth, Sebor Absinth; Havel Absinth, Zelena muza) Have fun and If you have any questions just ask, I sort of come from that area Edit: beware of czech taxidrivers, charging ten times the amount of the price for foreigners has become a habit, just yell at them or refuse to pay [​IMG] You can also use 360 cities to see what works best for ya

6. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

So how was Prague? What did you end up doing?

7. RSS

RSS Senior member

Only a few hours? I'd walk around the old town ... and just take in as much as you can visually. It's a beautiful city.

8. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

So touristy but still fun.

Budweiser + street meat = yum

9. gdl203

Walked around Old Town and to the bridge. Had a good meal at Kolkovna (sp?) with a few draft Urquells (we tried to go to the place VR suggested but it was literally entirely empty, not one customer. Half a block away was that other place that was bustling with people). Got scammed by a taxi driver who screamed at me in czech. All in all, a pretty typical Prague tourist experience.