One Coat Wardrobe: Find me a versatile coat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by greekonomist, Jan 22, 2009.

1. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

Inspired by the Foof.

Assume I'm starting from scratch, which is more versatile? Raincoat with liner or topcoat? Is there another option?

- I would layer and add scarves/hats/gloves as needed to stay warm.

- For Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern climates. I don't get cold easily, but do get overheated.

- I typically dress casually, but want it to be wearable with a suit or sportcoat.

The question is whether to prioritize staying dry on the wettest days or being warm on the coldest days.

Corollary:

The coldest temperature a raincoat with a liner could keep one warm is ____?

2. RedLetterDay

RedLetterDay Senior member

I think one of the main deciding factors here would be where in the country you live or spend the majority of your time. I live in Northwestern PA and I don't think a raincoat/liner would get me through some of the winters.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would not get a raincoat. I have two but rarely wear them. They've not very warm, and I dislike dealing with a wet coat. They also look weird when it's not raining, like you think you're a secret agent. I'd rather have a nice coat and a nice umbrella.

If I were to have only one, I'd get a plain gray wool coat cut slightly above the knee. No duffles, no coverts, no velvet collars. Casual enough for khakis, dressy enough for a suit.

4. greekonomist

- For Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern climates.

I think one of the main deciding factors here would be where in the country you live or spend the majority of your time. I live in Northwestern PA and I don't think a raincoat/liner would get me through some of the winters.

United States; see above for region.

5. greekonomist

I would not get a raincoat. I have two but rarely wear them. They've not very warm, and I dislike dealing with a wet coat. They also look weird when it's not raining, like you think you're a secret agent. I'd rather have a nice coat and a nice umbrella.

I guess you're on to something about raincoats looking weird when it's not raining. My old roommate used to wear one all the time, and he did look a little like a spy.

I have trouble finding knee-length coats that come to my knees and not much, much lower. Suggestions?

6. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Isn't a camel hair polo coat the orthodox answer?

7. romafan

romafan Senior member

Assuming you found the coat that works, the question becomes "would one do it?", o rwould you then need to ponder how many you'd need?

8. greekonomist

Isn't a camel hair polo coat the orthodox answer?

Is it? I haven't heard Manton or your mentor, Iammatt, say that. [​IMG]

I like camel but

(1) aren't those a bit heavy for mild days?

(2) is camel really the most versatile color?

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

If I were to have only one, I'd get a plain gray wool coat cut slightly above the knee. No duffles, no coverts, no velvet collars. Casual enough for khakis, dressy enough for a suit.
    I would never have just one, but if had to, which I won't, I'd go with this too. I'd add single breasted for versatility. Maybe something interesting yet versatile for the cloth (e.g. grey herringbone).

10. greekonomist

Assuming you found the coat that works, the question becomes "would one do it?", o rwould you then need to ponder how many you'd need?

Obviously once I settle on the right coat I'll by 5 additional copies.

11. greekonomist

I would never have just one, but if had to, which I won't, I'd go with this too. I'd add single breasted for versatility. Maybe something interesting yet versatile for the cloth (e.g. grey herringbone).

Sounds nice, but hard to find. All I see in the stores is black, really. And I'm not going bespoke.

12. mafoofan

I'd be wary of grey coat because I wear a lot of grey pants and grey suits.

13. greekonomist

I'd be wary of grey coat because I wear a lot of grey pants and grey suits.

Hmm, I find grey on grey (different shades) looks better than blue on blue, FWIW. But I agree camel goes well with grey.

14. mafoofan

Hmm, I find grey on grey (different shades) looks better than blue on blue, FWIW. But I agree camel goes well with grey.

I dunno. Neither is optimal. But since I don't ever wear khakis, a camel/rust/brown coat would be my picl.

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sounds nice, but hard to find. All I see in the stores is black, really. And I'm not going bespoke.

Really? Grey herringbone coats are quite common. Nitro on eBay consistently has Isaia ones
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-285O-ISAIA-W...3A1%7C294%3A50