1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

One cheese to rule them all

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Don Carlos, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

I've already ordered 12 identical wheels of mimolette custom made for me.

Are you opening a cheese shop?
    WTF are you going to do with 12 wheels of cheese?
    This is prob. a year's worth of cheese (assuming you eat 1/4 lb a day)

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

When the weather gets cool, I think I'm going to try smoking some cheese.

I couldn't wait for cool weather. I had to smoke some pork bellies, to finish the bacon making process, so I did some Swiss cheese. I picked it as a low moisture, semi-hard cheese that I figure would stand up to the process well. Used hickory. Turned out [​IMG]

3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I think he meant raw milk Epoisses, not the pasteurized milk version that's authorized for sale in the US.

Stupid me, I thought that since the raw milk cheese ban was partially lifted, you could get it here now. Since it is aged less than 60 days, it is still generally illegal here although this site claims to have the real thing here in the States:
    http://www.dibruno.com/Detail.bok?no=642

that stuff has always been around if you were in the right city and knew where to look. it was funny, some cheese stores (no names) even put on their cheese boards "cru lait", i guess the health inspectors didn't read french.

question - any thoughts on the Epoisses they sell at Whole Foods where the first ingredients is blatantly "unpasteurized milk"?

4. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

5. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

are you sure, gomestar? I thought the epoisses there was pastuerized?

To foodguy. They're slowly closing some of the old loopholes. Sometimes some small family cheeseshops might have a small supply of "too young" (buy US standards) raw cheeses that are illegal here but it seems to be dwindling. Unless you have a connection it's tough now unfortunately. Stupid fda

6. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

another new favorite: [​IMG]

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

are you sure, gomestar? I thought the epoisses there was pastuerized?

I am sure. I'll see if they still have it next time I am able to make it there.

8. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

I am sure. I'll see if they still have it next time I am able to make it there.
    Pretty sure in the US you only can get a made for US epoisses much like the same cheese houses in france that make famous raw milk bries, camemberts and such also brie de meaux also make a pasteurized version for the US market. The box even says Fromage de Meaux on it instead. Though rouzaire family Brie de Nangis still says brie on the box despite being a "for US market" pasteurized version. I remember some cheeses like reblochon going through a bunch of problems. The original one was i think banned like a decade ago, then a good dummy one was sold for a long time and last winter the FDA axed that as well and i dunno what people are using at the moment. There are probably some reblochon clones out there cheese shops are still labeling as the original thing to move through it. I know delice du jura is pretty similar but pasteurized tl;dr: the fda and whiny overprotective US people are lame

9. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

As far as an everyday cheese goes, I still think aged English cheddar (read: Keen's or Montgomery) is the tops. But a salty Roquefort or nutty cave-aged gruyere are good choices, too.

10. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Pretty sure in the US you only can get a made for US epoisses

Yup. I'm a ware of a couple of folks who have managed to sneak in real, unpasteurized Epoisses (Berthaut) but they also have tails of losing $$ when shipments were caught.

I really champion McCalman's stand on this whole unpasteurized/pasteurized nonsense. And I fear the movements afoot even now in Europe to make pasteurized cheeses required there. We're going to lose real cheese if somebody doesn't wake up.

As for me this evening... brought home a little Vella Dry Jack and real (mixed milk) Cabrales for nibbling.

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

As far as an everyday cheese goes, I still think aged English cheddar (read: Keen's or Montgomery) is the tops. But a salty Roquefort or nutty cave-aged gruyere are good choices, too.
    You are a good man.

12. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

old cheddar. 8+ years. everything else is superfluous, even though I do love them all like a child.

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

As for me this evening... brought home a little Vella Dry Jack and real (mixed milk) Cabrales for nibbling.

Follow up from last night.

The Cabrales was SHARP! about as sharp as I've ever experienced from DO Cabrales. Placed square on your tongue it was like Chinese mustard. Really blasts the sour receptors on the side of your tongue. Kept away from that part of the tongue, it's very tangy, grassy, very rich. Lovely blue.

The Vella was the younger dry jack (~8 mo's). It was a bit on the rubbery and bland side. Not as interesting as the 24 month which, while considered one of the American artisan originals, I've always found just OK and not a great alternative to the best parmesano.

14. CBDB

CBDB Senior member

Gruyere is severely underrated. GrâtinÃ[​IMG] gruyere is pretty awesome. Also, the combination of caramelized onions and melted gruyere is hard to beat.

Pomme de Terre Dauphinoise <drool>

15. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Follow up from last night.

The Cabrales was SHARP! about as sharp as I've ever experienced from DO Cabrales. Placed square on your tongue it was like Chinese mustard. Really blasts the sour receptors on the side of your tongue. Kept away from that part of the tongue, it's very tangy, grassy, very rich. Lovely blue.

The Vella was the younger dry jack (~8 mo's). It was a bit on the rubbery and bland side. Not as interesting as the 24 month which, while considered one of the American artisan originals, I've always found just OK and not a great alternative to the best parmesano.

I've only had Cabrales a few times and am more familiar with Valdeon which is cow-goat and also rather sharp. Great on its own or in dishes/salad

16. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I've only had Cabrales a few times and am more familiar with Valdeon which is cow-goat and also rather sharp. Great on its own or in dishes/salad

Yeah- this particular Cabrales would make the Valdeon I've had cower in the corner. [​IMG]

17. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Yea, there is a tiny spain groc store with iberico, seranno, belotta, and some cheeses as well. I thought i remember seeing a nice cabrales when i was there like 6 months ago. Will have to go back and check it out

18. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

19. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Is Valedon the same thing as Picos de Europa - Cow's milk blue cheese covered in vine leaves. A rich and creamy cheese with well spread blue moulds and a tangy taste similar to Roquefort.

Cabrales is principally a cow's milk cheese, but with additions of goat and sheep's milk.

Both descriptions from Patricia Michelson

20. cairomerta

cairomerta Senior member

To me nothing beats a triple cream brie. Man this stuff is good!