1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

One cheese to rule them all

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Don Carlos, Jul 14, 2010.

1. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Vacherin mont d'or is so very delicious.

2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

True Vacherin is illegal in the US as it's young and raw milk. Are you getting a "vacherin-type" cheese or have you had it overseas? If here I wouldn't out the vendor.

Pasteurized vacherin-type cheese like Petit Sapin are as close as we get... American alternatives are Rush Creek Reserve & Harbison.

3. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Yeah, I was told it is illegal here. They import it under a different name. Not sure how, but I don't complain.

4. b1os

b1os Senior member

I decided to get some aged Gouda again because it's been some time since I've had some. And I liked it. Given that this is just 0815 aged Old Amsterdam for like 13€/kg from the supermarket, it's actually pretty good -- some crystals, round flavor. Probably something like 24 months

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  5. b1os

b1os Senior member

bump.

First of all a big chunk of some young Comté. Marcel Petite's Harmonie. 10-13 months. Rather mild, creamy. But still very tasty. I prefer older, more intense Comtés in general, but this was very good nonetheless.

[​IMG]

And a pleasant surprise. Tried this Lithuanian cheese, Dziuga (18 mo). Pasteurized milk but still quite interesting and did not disappoint. It reminds me of some cheese which I can't pinpoint as of now.. maybe it shares a few similar notes with aged Gouda, if that makes sense.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013