• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One cheese to rule them all

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Oi. I've eaten this chease. Pimp enough, huh?

:bigstar:

mackmittonz

Reaction score

Salty taste? Any ammonia on the nose?

It's definitely salty and tastes almost like an ultra crisp piece of bacon in some ways (I'm the last person to claim that I have great tastebuds so take what I say with a grain of salt). There are tons of crystals so I've really enjoyed the texture. There's a slight bit of ammonia smell but I'm not sure if it's because I had it vacuum packed for a couple weeks from our Paris trip. I didn't recall as much ammonia smell when I sampled it in Paris. With that said, it's still really tasty.

I'm really missing the raw milk Petit Gaugry we ate the day before we left. The Laurent Dubois folks didn't think the Petit or Epoisses would survive the plain ride since they were both super ripe...

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked because while an ancient Comte can probably be a bit salty- and it's so common a cheese that one Comte can be very different from another, if the ammonia is pretty strong AND the cheese is overly "salty" that's a sign of it having gone past ripe and heading south. It's much more of an issue with fresh cheeses and ripened cheeses. Those little pyraminds/bells of chevre can get there quickly.

Ammonia is tricky to detect though - a little bit might be noticeable on a bloomy rind, but when not sure, best to avoid.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Duh- Just noticed the Valencay above- that's the type I was saying if you taste salt and there's ammonia, it's bad. Many however just eat it figuring "isn't it supposed to be that way?"

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the 36 Comté definitely is salty and has ammoniac. It's not good.

The younger Comtés I've had (Arnaud, Marcel Petite) didn't have any -- or hardly any -- crystals. The 36 had.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, the 36 Comté definitely is salty and has ammoniac. It's not good.
The younger Comtés I've had (Arnaud, Marcel Petite) didn't have any -- or hardly any -- crystals. The 36 had.

Suspect it probably was much further along than it should have been. C'est la vie.

Speaking of washed rinds, Murray's just announced there new "cave master reserve": http://www.murrayscheese.com/prodinfo.asp?number=00000008825
It's McGarr's "Across the Pond" washed in Stout.
haven't had yet but told it's not for the faint-of-heart when it comes to stink.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea. Arnaud shouldn't have sold it. They better try each and every loaf!
The Riesling x Sylvaner-washed cheese is quite good.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wildspitz Bio, Reblochon, Salva Cremasco, Fourme D'Ambert

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been having a lot of this lately:
BuffaloWing_transparent.png

Very good after a night out or melted on chips / fries during games

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads