• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One cheese to rule them all

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's all about the Humboldt Fog.

I do like the Humboldt Fog! Got some more Beecher's Flagship Reserve the other day but I'm saving it for the weekend... soon!

alexg

Reaction score
I tried the regular flagship the other day, it's good stuff. Not a huge fan of their macaroni and cheese though, but that might be because I make a similar one that's way better.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really appreciate Cypress' whimsy in naming their cheeses... sure, Humboldt is foggy... but it's also a nod to the area pot head history.

as soon as it becomes legal we'll be seeing some very interesting cheeses indeed!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
CG, aren't you in the Twin Cities? How the hell do you procure such an endless supply of dericious cheeses?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CG, aren't you in the Twin Cities? How the hell do you procure such an endless supply of dericious cheeses?

Heart of dairy-land, bro. About 200 makers within a couple hundred miles so sourcing is nearby.

The cheese shop scene is meager with a couple of exceptions:

Surdyk's in Minneapolis is pretty brilliant. It's not Neal's Yard but they maintain a broad and well-cared for selection. It's on the far side of the city from me but I make time for it.
France 44's shop is #2. Small selection but again well-cared for and knowledgeable staff. They have a second much smaller shop nearer my office that's good for a quick hit.

Then there are a couple of others. One local grocery maintains, uh MAINTAINED a pretty good selection but of course it's not cut to order and the quality has nose-dived of late.

I can source some things from my friends restaurant when they order.

Beyond that I order online from Artisanal or occasionally Murray's in New York.

If I can get the caysh together and stars align, I hope to open my own place. (Because I'm out of my mind).

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Stichelton... seriously good eats:

Roasted red pepper, carrot & tomato soup with crumbled bacon, crumbled stichelton and a bit of shredded apple.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Xavier David's (Gérald Brun) Sainte-Maure de Touraine (AOP). Pretty good.

Last edited:

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No photos but we had Humbolt Fog for the first time and really enjoyed it. Also a crumbly bleu from the Basque region and an aged unpasteurized gruyere which was incredible.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Nice- Humboldt is consistently rewarding, and the difference in raw milk versus not in some cheeses is night and day.

Bleu de Brebis by chance?

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ Nice- Humboldt is consistently rewarding, and the difference in raw milk versus not in some cheeses is night and day.
Bleu de Brebis by chance?

That was it exactly and it was wonderful. We tried for a united nations of milk - sheep's for the blue, goat's for Humboldt and alpine cow for the gruyere. I was amazed by the nuttiness of the gruyere and how with age, the crystalline texture develops and flavour grows.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads