• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One book to read before you die.....

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has probably been covered before but if you had to suggest one book to be read by everyone,what would it be? It can be factual,fiction,biography,anything at all.
The reason I ask is because I see so many of you during discussions mention various books that I have never even heard of and with so little reading time on my hands I want to make the right choices.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry

MOCAZEN

Reaction score
one of the greatest books I ever read was forced on me during a South American Literature course while doing my B.A, it was Jose Agustin "De Perfil" its in spanish , but I'm sure there has to be a copy of one in english

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, anything by Borghes or Nabokoff really.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Sea by John Banville. Some of the greatest prose ever written. Period.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thus Spake Zarathustra - Nietzsche

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Lolita.

Read today - take your time, please - and repeat every ten years or so. Each reading has been more rewarding than the previous one.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is such a crazy question. One book that everyone should read? I can't think of only one. Okay, fine. Survival in Auschwitz by Primo Levi EDIT - I think you're in the States, but if you're not, it's published as If This is a Man

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A la recherche du temps perdu/In Search Of Lost Time, Marcel Proust.

Five or six years ago, over several months. Absorbing, beautiful prose which took me to depths of characterisation previously not encountered. Set aside a good few hours each time you settle down with it, and, ideally, a glass of something nice.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Oh, anything by Borghes or Nabokoff really.
Borges
Nabokov
But spelling nit-picking aside, good choices.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Lolita.

Read today - take your time, please - and repeat every ten years or so. Each reading has been more rewarding than the previous one.

I have to say Lolita is my least fav. of his works. Unfortunately it is the one that was popularised the most. Please take a look at his many early works, such as: The Defense, Glory, Laughter in the Dark.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have to say Lolita is my least fav. of his works. Unfortunately it is the one that was popularised the most. Please take a look at his many early works, such as: The Defense, Glory, Laughter in the Dark.

Fair enough. I read Invitation to a Beheading and wasn't blown away, but then again I read it only once which is unfair given the preferential treatment I've shown to Lolita. I'll start looking for his earlier ones.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
For me, Pale Fire can't be beat. But count me among the Lolita fans, as well. +1 on The Defense.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Not exactly answering the question, but I can't think of anything better to read when in combat than For Whom the Bell Tolls.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Not exactly answering the question, but I can't think of anything better to read when in combat than For Whom the Bell Tolls.
have you read tim obrien? the things they carried, and going after caciatto? those are some of my favorite books.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads