• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Bespoke Overcoat

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Just to complicate matters. What if you already had it in your head that some day you want an orthodox polo coat: tan camel, DB 6x2, double-stitched edges, envelope pockets, sleeve cuffs, rear half-belt. Should that be "the one"? Or should "the one" be something more formal?
I think that this is something you can get easily enough RTW in a perfectly classical configuration, and there isn't much payoff from a bespoke fit. The reason for the greatcoat suggestion is that it is hard to find in RTW an overcoat with a reasonably fitted chest/shoulders (or at least a real waist) that also has a full sweeping skirt. For someone your height, it would be even harder to find.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just to complicate matters. What if you already had it in your head that some day you want an orthodox polo coat: tan camel, DB 6x2, double-stitched edges, envelope pockets, sleeve cuffs, rear half-belt.

Should that be "the one"? Or should "the one" be something more formal?

Then you'd be able to answer the question as to whether you can pull off wearing it with a dinner jacket.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just to complicate matters. What if you already had it in your head that some day you want an orthodox polo coat: tan camel, DB 6x2, double-stitched edges, envelope pockets, sleeve cuffs, rear half-belt.

No, if you don't have that in a bespoke coat, I would go with that.

It is the type of coat where I think a properly fitted version is spectacularly better than RTW...particularly for someone like you who is not proportioned in a way friendly to RTW.

If you do, I would go with a thick camel unless you can spring for vicuña...cashmere is too middle of the road for me in this type of coat.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I think that this is something you can get easily enough RTW in a perfectly classical configuration, and there isn't much payoff from a bespoke fit.

I differ with you on that, particuarly for Mantoni. I think that finding him a properly proportioned RTW polo is probably impossible.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have a RTW polo coat, and while it is OK, I don't love it. The configuration is not orthodox, and the fit is just OK. It fits better than my other OC, however.

Vicuna is out of the question. Even if I could afford it, I would still get camel for this.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want an auld tyme Brooks Bros. polo coat.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have one bespoke overcoat - tabaco colored cashmere, cut like a SB suit jacket but ventless and mid calf length, no belt.

I have an off the rack that is loden, with an A line, in charcoal. I think that if I were having an overcoat made again (which I think I won't - I think that an overcoat is a once in a lifetime deal) I'd get it in thick dark loden.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I want an auld tyme Brooks Bros. polo coat.

I have one and it is not right. 6X3, and no sleeve cuffs. Plus the pockets are flapped patch, not envelope.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a RTW polo coat, and while it is OK, I don't love it. The configuration is not orthodox, and the fit is just OK. It fits better than my other OC, however.

Vicuna is out of the question. Even if I could afford it, I would still get camel for this.

Mine is a thick, thick camel, and it is more convincing that cashmere in this application.

- B

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think camel works for having one topcoat. Works for daytime but not evening.
I would do dark grey before navy, herringbone or solid, DB, 3x2, two lower flap, no breast pocket, 17 - 18 ounce and I would not do 100% cashmere but maybe a 15% cashmere, 85% wool blend. Simple but classic. Timeless.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I don't think camel works for having one topcoat. Works for daytime but not evening.
I would do dark grey before navy, herringbone or solid, DB, 3x2, two lower flap, no breast pocket, 17 - 18 ounce and I would not do 100% cashmere but maybe a 15% cashmere, 85% wool blend. Simple but classic. Timeless.

I have thought of this. For some reason, blue attracts me more than gray. Same details, though I might get a breast welt.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cashmere is better in this application, IMO.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Mine is a thick, thick camel, and it is more convincing that cashmere in this application.

- B

Bespoke or RTW?
Polo (Ralph) does a pretty classic Polo Coat. How is Paul Stuart's.

You may be right that manton has a tougher time with RTW fit than most, but if I am right about Ralph Lauren, he coould probably order one MTM without much of an upcharge.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

An orthodox polo coat has framed patch pockets not envelope flaps.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have thought of this. For some reason, blue attracts me more than gray. Same details, though I might get a breast welt.

You just blew it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads