1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Once you reach this point of style, there is no where else to go...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jacnyr, Jul 15, 2010.

1. VMan

VMan Senior member

2. Bull

Bull Senior member

Scarification during the act - so artistic, no?

[​IMG]

3. Bull

Bull Senior member

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'm not a surgeon, but from a general medical ethics point of view, if the person has full capacity, then I'd suggest this sort of extreme body modification may not be a particularly unethical thing to be involved in. To use a tailoring analogy, if you felt somebody would be better off with a clean look, but they insisted on lots of drape, if you were sure they absolutely understood what they were asking for, you might still proceed. Now, if the person had impaired capacity, or serious psychological issues driving his desire to get this type of surgery, and the surgeon proceeded anyway, absolutely I would consider that unethical. I leave it to you/others to suggest a tailoring analogy here, perhaps using one of our esteemed members and their bespoke tailors... [​IMG] Of course, it can be argued whether it's possible to want this kind of modification without having those serious psychological issues, but there is a theoretical possible subset that might fit those criteria. I suppose, in some respects, in might be akin to surgery for body dysmorphia. Not something I approve of personally, and it is a highly controversial field, but there are those who hold that it is acceptable/ethical to perform.
    It's outrageous that you should suggest that drape of a suit jacket is the moral equivalent to this extreme body modification. I'm told that people are allowed to spend upwards of $3k on a drape bespoke without going before a panel of psychiatrists - the harm from a drape is permanent - tatts can be removed or covered up, the horns can be cut off or hidden by a hat, drape scars all. A picture of a drape jacket posted here or another forum will upset more people than a pic of scarification. Hell, I'm not even sure that drape exists. There is strict licensing of tattooists, anyone can call themselves a tailor and start making drape jackets.

5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

It's outrageous that you should suggest that drape of a suit jacket is the moral equivalent to this extreme body modification.

I'm told that people are allowed to spend upwards of $3k on a drape bespoke without going before a panel of psychiatrists - the harm from a drape is permanent - tatts can be removed or covered up, the horns can be cut off or hidden by a hat, drape scars all.

A picture of a drape jacket posted here or another forum will upset more people than a pic of scarification. Hell, I'm not even sure that drape exists.

There is strict licensing of tattooists, anyone can call themselves a tailor and start making drape jackets.

I'm glad someone else out there understands. I appoint you to run the internet viral campaign to rid the world of this danger.

7. CBDB

CBDB Senior member

Must be interesting when he goes for a job interview.

It something that I never really understood. Face tats make you largely unemployable in the legitimate economy without an obvious offsetting benefit from the gray or illegitimate economy. I don't think getting a face tat would increase your earnings as a muscian, head-shop employee or as a drug-dealer so in the end you just earn less [​IMG]

8. Bull

Bull Senior member

It something that I never really understood. Face tats make you largely unemployable in the legitimate economy without an obvious offsetting benefit from the gray or illegitimate economy. I don't think getting a face tat would increase your earnings as a muscian, head-shop employee or as a drug-dealer so in the end you just earn less [​IMG]

Whole Foods will hire you no matter what sort of outlandish tats you have.

9. Bull

Bull Senior member

Fantastic Zombie Boy interview:

http://www.bizarremag.com/weird-news...ombie_boy.html

Money quote:

Is there any kind of body modification you wouldn't have?

Cock-splitting. I've seen pictures of that and it's not for me. But I'd tattoo my cock. I'm thinking of having reptile scales and cockroaches.

I've had different ideas that aren't relevant to my body suit. One was quite sacrilegious. I thought about having my cock tattooed like a Cyclops Jesus ding-dong. There would be a crown of thorns around it, an eyeball and some scales. And there'd be a crucifix in the background, so my cock would be like Jesus on the cross. But in the end it just sounded completely wrong.

10. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

Do you think any of these folks have a moment of introspection where they think, "perhaps I took a wrong turn back there somewhere"?

11. Bull

Bull Senior member

Do you think any of these folks have a moment of introspection where they think, "perhaps I took a wrong turn back there somewhere"?

They'd never admit it, but it's inevitable.

12. TheButler

TheButler Senior member

Probably right about the time one of those horns has migrated to the centre of your forehead, making you look like a baby unicorn, and the other one has migrated to the rear of your head, preventing you from laying back to get a good nights sleep. At that point you'd be tossing and turning, wide awake, wondering if maybe you should have just spent the money on a nice Rubinacci number instead.

13. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Do you?

14. squall2644

squall2644 Active Member

Guys..I think we've found satan...

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

Probably right about the time one of those horns has migrated to the centre of your forehead, making you look like a baby unicorn, and the other one has migrated to the rear of your head, preventing you from laying back to get a good nights sleep. At that point you'd be tossing and turning, wide awake, wondering if maybe you should have just spent the money on a nice Rubinacci number instead.

More likely you'd be laying awake looking through the open door of the wardrobe wondering why you dropped in excess of 2K on badly fitted sleeve shoved into a too small shoulder opening and thinking how you could have got some spiffy tatts or a set of horns.

16. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

Do you?

Every fucking day.

17. RSS

RSS Senior member

Do you?
    Oh ... I've made mistakes ... but never any wrong turns.

18. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Do you?

We all have...

Sometimes I doubt myself so much that I don't recognize my own reflection in the mirror...