• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On Wood Hangers Ruining Shirts

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Is this a common occurence. Looking over archived threads, most people say it is unlikely, but to use plastic just in case.. Here is one example

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=18002

I personally like the look of wood better and am wondering if there are any reasonably priced wood hangers that have held the test of time and have not stained wet shirts (please keep in mind I am going to hang shirts on them to dry prior to ironing). What about Blonde wood?

If not, what plastic ones do you guys go for? These were the kind my mom used growing up:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=12919379

But nice stores seem to prefer thicker plastic or wood. Does thick plastic or wood support the shoulder of dress shirts better? To my untrained eye, it seems like they do. Also where would one find thicker plastic ones?

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use wood hangers but use ones with felt along the top edges to prevent snags from splinters.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
I use wood hangers but use ones with felt along the top edges to prevent snags from splinters.

Interesting..where do you purchase these from?

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Why would it matter if the hanger supports the shoulder? There's nothing in there to be supported.

Sorry, I'm a noob, my wording was probably very poor. It just seems to me that the shirts hanging in stores look better supported by the hangers than mine at home.

JFKJean

Reaction score
I use wooden hangers for my wovens and in the even that I were to machine wash em, I wouldn't be comfortable hanging them dry from the same hangers either

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
Interesting..where do you purchase these from?

I had purchased mine from Linens N Things store clearance sales.

I don't remember the make/brand off hand but I can look into it if you want.

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Why would it matter if the hanger supports the shoulder? There's nothing in there to be supported.

Have you ever tried hanging a shirt on a wire hanger for an extended period of time? It gets creases from the hanger. The same can happen with cheap wooden hangers where the shoulder support is too thin. I prefer the wooden hangers that have an angle to them (i.e. they are not flat), but plastic ones with wider "shoulders" might be even better.

If anyone knows a place to buy those online, please post a link.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
Have you ever tried hanging a shirt on a wire hanger for an extended period of time? It gets creases from the hanger. The same can happen with cheap wooden hangers where the shoulder support is too thin. I prefer the wooden hangers that have an angle to them (i.e. they are not flat), but plastic ones with wider "shoulders" might be even better.

I don't use wire, but have never had any trouble with plastic. No creasing, even for shirts left for an extended period. I'm skeptical of the superiority of nice shirt hangers, except for their aeshetic appeal. Nothing wrong with paying for aesthetics, but I'd rather have the space, and the money in my pocket.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle

Agree.

PandArts: Could you also post the type of hanger you purchased. I searched on Linen's N Thing's and could not find anything.

EdenResident

Reaction score
I use wooden hangers bought from IKEA at $3 for 8 pieces. It's mainly for aesthetics because I don't see any big advantage over plastic ones.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think all you want to avoid is a shirt that gets the stretch points from a bad hanger, they are rather hard to remove since they have stretched the cotton.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads