On the Street in NYC....Well Groomed

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The Sartorialist, May 4, 2006.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Anyone else think the suit looks too casual for a contrasting collar shirt?

2. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

its nice, but its pulling strangely around the top button.
    I think that's because of the posture.

3. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Anyone else think the suit looks too casual for a contrasting collar shirt?
    Yes.

4. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

If those are flap pockets, then the suit is too casual for the shirt.

The tie ought to be bolder, the sleeves are a problem, and the fit at the chest is odd.

The soap-opera hair and teeth that look unnaturally white for somebody with aged skin contribute to the "creepy" look.

But he looks better than most.

5. mensimageconsultant

you want "meow"?

YOU CAN'T HANDLE "MEOW"!

Whoa, what happened to this dude's eyebrows? All he's got left are two little tabs like he's a* owl or something. I know you're supposed to cull the unibrow, but yo, leave it looking sorta realistic ... !

There. [​IMG]

*intentional elision

The short eyebrows are a combination of age and eyes that are widely spaced.

6. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

There is something very creepy about this guy. He does look great though.

He reminds one of John Kerry.

7. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

If those are flap pockets, then the suit is too casual for the shirt.

So what are you saying? A contrast collar can be worn only with a suit with pockets lacking flaps?

I don't see anything wrong with the shirt/suit combo. I would agree, however, that a bolder tie would be nice.

8. mensimageconsultant

It's not only the flap pockets. It is the possible brown color and the short, fitted cut of the jacket.

The impression of the man is that he is trying to look young and "hip," unsuccessfully.

9. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

It's not only the flap pockets. It is the possible brown color and the short, fitted cut of the jacket.

The impression of the man is that he is trying to look young and "hip," unsuccessfully.

Honest question then--if that's been his style for the last 30 years, and all of the sudden there's a trend towards short jackets, is he supposed to stop wearing them to avoid looking trendy? This seems counterintuitive at best.

10. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

its nice, but its pulling strangely around the top button.

he does kinda look like a toothpaste commercial guy, but i guess thats a compliment

I also thought he ought to be in a commercial, the kind for shampoos (dyes?) that cover gray hair.

11. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

I don't think his jacket is cut short -- it really couldn't be any longer. He has long legs, you can't alter length of the jacket to accommodate that. We know what happens when basketball players try that.

His haircut is a bit too 70's blow-dry for my taste, but I think his teeth are appropriately white.

12. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I also think the coat is too short - by at least 1"

Overall he just looks uncomfortable in this jacket [​IMG]

I personally loathe contrasting collars (probably some childhood trauma I cannot remember... [​IMG] )

13. mensimageconsultant

If the clothing style has been his for years, then no, he shouldn't be pressured to change it because it has become trendy.

He shouldn't be pressured to change his teeth, either. If they are as white and straight as they appear and not an illusion caused by the collar or lighting, good for him. But he should take better care of his skin and, if he's willing, modernize the hair. He probably has no idea that he looks artificial.

14. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

I don't think he's trying to look hip at all. The suit, to me, looks as if it may be slightly too short; apart from that, there's nothing to my eye that makes this suit/outfit look trendy. It is a standard suit.

As for the flap pockets/white collar shirt issue, I disagree with the notion that that is an inappropriate combination. It may not be to one's taste, as I know white collared shirts can be the source of some sartorial controversy, but I don't believe it is wrong by any means.

Also, how do you know his skin is "bad," since you say that he should take better care of his skin?

15. mensimageconsultant

Maybe it was a mistake to mention the flap pockets. They alone don't make a jacket too casual for a contrast collar. The cut of the jacket is fashion-forward. The lapels look small, also, and the color is in question.

The man's skin looks leathery and wrinkled. As most guys neglect their skin, that's probably no illusion. Since he obviously pays attention to his hair, teeth, and body, he should do more about his skin, especially if he's trying to look younger. You're only as strong as your weakest link.