Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

On the Street in NYC....Velvet Casual

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The Sartorialist, Mar 28, 2006.

1. The Sartorialist

The Sartorialist Well-Known Member

2. kabert

kabert Senior member

Looks like he's trying pretty darn hard to be... something. Note the matching scarf and old-man hankerchief. I hate the scarf -- what is it in New York this season with the gigantic, twisted/tied/wrapped scarves. More often than not, they seem to un-balance an otherwise OK outfit. Do they hide a skinny neck?

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I like it a lot. This guy looks like he was seriously serious when he was younger and now as an older geezer he's still got his own thing going on. That tour jacket is tops but I'm not a fan of how he is tying the scarf.

4. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

I like it a lot, too. The overall look works for me. The scarf is a bit odd, but I hadn't really noticed it until you guys mentioned it.

The back pocket hanky thing is a bit questionable for a number of reasons. But it may be an important signalling tool, in which case I wouldn't begrudge it. I've forgotten the code and don't know if it is really in use these days anyway...

5. Matt

Matt ex-m@Triate

id like it a lot more if he didnt have a dragon on his sleeve and ih hed roll the pant legs down one notch. Same edge, less gimmick.

6. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Trying hard and getting nowhere.

7. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

FWIW: that type of Korea-emblem jacket is the first purchase a GI makes when passing through a tour of duty in S.Korea.

That's why you might see them in your local mall during holidays (typical GI leave time), worn by young guys with short hair.