• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

on the Street in NYC....Tailored in Napoli

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice. I especially like the shoes, the super-high gorge on the jacket, and is that a patch breast pocket?

The simplicity of his outfit is great, too, and that along with what I saw this weekend is helping me understand the observation that many Italians don't dress overtly flamboyantly, but still manage to look interesting: I was in the Beverly Hills Zegna this weekend, and saw two visitors from their main office in Italy, who, though somewhat short and squat, were individually elegant in what essentially were navy jackets, khaki slacks, and white shirts. However, they appeared to have rented a purple Chevy HHR.
alien.gif

--Andre

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
However, they appeared to have rented a purple Chevy HHR.
alien.gif

--Andre

Probably couldnt afford the Russian ex military Jeep
smile.gif

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
This is what happens when the new "Peewee Hermann" style is worn by a fat man. If you are 5'6" you can get away with wearing your little brothers clothes and people will think you are cute or an out of work model. This guy needs a tailor.

Perry

Start with TLE of about a click man. New--no, old. Neapolitan. Peewee Herman style--I assume you're referring to TB here, and no again. He's an American referencing the '50s and '60s. Neapolitan tailors have been doing this forever.

That being said, the tapered legs just don't quite make it for this guy. He needs just a little more fullness, no more than a couple of inches. Give it that balance and it'll be perfect. Took me two looks to figure that out though.

Patch breast pocket? Most likely. The Partenopea that chorse hooked me up with has one, it seems to be de rigeur for Neapolitan tailoring.

Tom

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket is too tight, but it's a cool look overall.

TimMureau

Reaction score
The jacket looks very good, the tie is very boring.

Ed355

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I think the pants actually work for him. They look like they fit him well to my eye, and I think a more structured look and fuller cut would just make him look American. A lot of guys that size don't wear clothes that fit them well - this guy doesn't fall into that trap.

Really? Looks to me his belly is hanging out of his pants like a watermelon. He should have the waist of the pants expanded.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ed355
Really? Looks to me his belly is hanging out of his pants like a watermelon. He should have the waist of the pants expanded.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Nothing this guy could wear would make him look thin, but clearly the shirt fits him well in the neck, and the trousers are tailored such that they fit him in the waist (to my eyes) without draping down around his legs like a tent. That is what heavy men usually look like (see the Sopranos for examples.)

darck

Reaction score
IMO there are two things that take his outfit from the "good" level to the "great" level - the shoes and the cigar!

Also, be sure to read the full story over at The Sartorialist's blog.

Finally, hats off to The Sartorialist for yet another truly inspiring photo!

operationexpat

Reaction score
I like it except for the blue on blue. And it looks a little sloppy to me, not sure whether it's the wrinkles or the tie or what. Other than that, high marks for originality.

Sara

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trousers could be so much better. The flat front, slim/tapered cut serve only to accentuate his girth.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally, a man of substance!

I actually think the collar and tie knot are too big: while he's a large man, his head is not that big.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The spread collar is contributing to the "huge head" perception.

In addition to the pants and jacket (which should show some cuff), the shirt is too tight.

Buttoning the jacket would help a lot. A brighter tie would help distract from the dimensions and balance the bold shoes.

Lord Byron

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
The man is dressed in very typical Neapolitan style. That said, it is a style that differs from what Americans or Englishmen would consider "well-tailored", ie, having much more fabric hangin and floating around. What you can't tell simply by looking at this picture is the way this man's jacket (probably) feels. High quality handmade jackets like this feel as light as a second shirt, with fabric that's incredibly soft to the touch, and tailoring that is second to none.
I'd recommend a trip to Napoli, a visit to some of the nicer stores (Rubinacci, et al), and trying on a Neapolitan jacket, before judging his look too severly.
There's no believer like a convert.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads