1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

On the Street in NYC...Oliver of Domenico Vacca

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The Sartorialist, Mar 15, 2006.

1. The Sartorialist

The Sartorialist Well-Known Member

2. mass

mass Well-Known Member

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

The shirt, suit and tie are awesome. The pocket square is criminal.

4. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

The shirt, suit and tie are awesome. The pocket square is criminal.
    Criminal good or bad? I kinda like it... It is a bit severe and doesn't add much flair/uniqueness to the outfit, but it ain't bad either.

5. itsstillmatt

Criminal good or bad? I kinda like it... It is a bit severe and doesn't add much flair/uniqueness to the outfit, but it ain't bad either.
    Criminal bad.

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I think that the outfit would improve through its subtraction, better to have no pocket square than a poorly chosen one.

7. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

The tie and quare are too close. A linen handkerchief would've been my choice, in keeping with the solids.

8. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Criminal bad.

I don't mind the pocket square, although I probably wouldn't buy it.

Not too keen on the tie knot, and I think black ties are mostly for funerals. They look both too stark, and too boring - this is much like the arguments against black suits.

Shirt looks perfectly all right.

The suit is verrrry nice. On this, I like the ticket pocket. What sort of nap does the fabric have?

Again, no cuff showing. How difficult can that be?

Brown shoes would absolutely not work with this, I think.

9. itsstillmatt

I don't mind the pocket square, although I probably wouldn't buy it.

Not too keen on the tie knot, and I think black ties are mostly for funerals. They look both too stark, and too boring - this is much like the arguments against black suits.

Shirt looks perfectly all right.

The suit is verrrry nice. On this, I like the ticket pocket. What sort of nap does the fabric have?

Again, no cuff showing. How difficult can that be?

Brown shoes would absolutely not work with this, I think.

The shirt sleeve looks too short, but the jacket sleeve seems right.

10. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

It's a navy tie.

11. Lucky Strike

The shirt sleeve looks too short, but the jacket sleeve seems right.

Why can I barely see the cuff, then?

12. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

The shirt sleeve is definitely too short, probably becaus ethe barrel cuff seems very tight around his writst.

13. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

Really don't care for the square, but like everything else about it.

14. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Whoa. My pink shirt is almost just like that.

The pocket square would have been nice if it matched the shirt, but that's my opinion. Everything else is excellent. The only Oliver Gerona getup that I didn't really care for was the corduroy suit.

15. Soph

Soph Senior member

Whoa. My pink shirt is almost just like that.

The pocket square would have been nice if it matched the shirt, but that's my opinion. Everything else is excellent. The only Oliver Gerona getup that I didn't really care for was the corduroy suit.

--- That is what I try to do. I either wear a white linen solid, or match the pocket square to the shirt, never the tie, (isn't matching the tie with the square now consider inappropriate?, at one time way back I think Flusser mentioned it was done, but now it seems cheesy) unless it's a motley pocket square then maybe a hint of the tie. But I'm not really into patterned squares much.

--On page 216, Flusser states, "A solid colored handerkerchief should only be mated with a patterned necktie, and it ideally should not be of the same color as the ground shade of the necktie." "Wearing a matching handkerchief and necktie is a sure sign of an unsophisticated dresser". What he has done is made the pocket square too much navy matching navy tie, the sqaure and tie seem of the exact shade (although he has a tad of white) it draws the eye across the chest rather than toward the face imo. A solid white linen would have been perfect. Except for the pink shirt/ticket/cashpocket, it has a very Sean Connery era, classic James Bond feel.

16. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Honestly, I could care less for all these rules that people put on dressing. I just go by what I think looks good, and usually it works out.

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The reverse puff for handkerchiefs seems rather rare.

18. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Jovan, no one is talking about rules here, just aesthetics. That would also not have been my choice of pocket square. Other than that, looks good. The interest is in the cut and quality, rather than flashy colors.

Tom

19. Alias

Alias Senior member

Honestly, I could care less for all these rules that people put on dressing. I just go by what I think looks good, and usually it works out.

The rules exist for a reason. I've seen a lot of people try and break them and fail hilariously.

20. Lucky Strike

It's a navy tie.

You're right, I think. The same argument about it being both stark and boring goes, though.