On the Street in NYC....Old Man Mory

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The Sartorialist, May 12, 2006.

1. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Well, I have a treat for you!! I am in the process of taking pics of this season's Eredi Pisano catalogue to post on the forum
    I'm really looking forward to this. Are all their in-house suits cut like this one? For the record, don't like the shirt, the tie is OK, and don't like the overall look. I have no problem with the combination, they're just not (IMHO) well-chosen pieces. The suit, as usual, is my ideal.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

There's also a social reasoning with black men and flamboyant clothing.

3. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I think the world needs more modern dandies like Mory here.

4. Rome

Rome Mr. Chocolates Godiva

LK would you mind elucidating?

Thank you.

5. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Well I think the best example is what Stacy Adams makes all featuring black men in their ads (though not always).

6. lutfa

lutfa Senior member

I,ve seen a verying color displays and odd styles from london to italy from china to india from ecuador to cuba which always at some point come into fashion.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

LK would you mind elucidating? Thank you.
    I believe it's mostly due to the traditional socio-economic status of blacks, an emphasis on the slavery, and their desire to subvert that status of poverty, which led many black men to dress in very flamboyant styles. That could be seen during the Harlem Renaissance and it was seen on the classic image of the pimp as well as the boxing promoters. One may also note when Fitzgerald, in The Great Gatsby, writes about the black couple driving a large convertible and the woman with the most insouciant expression. Harlem also had the rather noted "Harlem Balls," which were like the American equivalent of the Deco period French drag balls with WASP socialites, European royalty, intellectuals, the gay community, and film stars coming down to partake in the fun. Most were hosted by Madam CJ Walker's daughter, A'Lelia Walker who lived at Villa Lewaro, a palace-like structure, on the Hudson. Here's a quote from the 1981 text, The Language of Clothes: 'It takes money as well as taste to be a successful dandy, and in the past Blacks above the poverty line have spent much of their disposable income on clothes; according to one study, in 1950 their average expenditure was twenty percent greater that that of whites. Many writers have noted the Black enthusiasm for expensive and elegant clothes, and also for expensive and elegant automobiles. It has been suggested that these tastes, and the associated spending patterns, are related to the problems Blacks have traditionally had in acquiring other kinds of status symbols, such as membership in country clubs and houses in middle-class suburbs. If this is so, as equality of opportunity increases the relative elegance of Blacks may decline.' Note this outfit worn by a spectator at the 1970 Muhammad Ali-Oscar Bonavena boxing match: [​IMG] Harlem couple: [​IMG] Couple wearing raccoon skin coats in their Cadillac in Harlem by James Van Der Zee: [​IMG]

8. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Interesting perspective.

9. lutfa

lutfa Senior member

were i originated there were tailors at every other corner rich and poor purchased on a regular bases .ecspecially on holidays.this at some point helps to lift the moods of people as a fine perfume or going to the gym .it brings pleasure to mind and also sometimes to your surroundings.

10. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

I love it. Go, Mory, go!

Does the shirt fabric encompass every color in the rainbow? I've gotta get one of those...

Well, I have a treat for you!! I am in the process of taking pics of this season's Eredi Pisano catalogue to post on the forum and some of the stuff will make you barf but for the most part, the clothing is pretty decent. Mory, definitely goes out of his way to dress that way as most of the stuff there is not so bold. I'll also be posting pics of this month's Last magazine. There are some very expensive shoes there that Ronald McDonald wouldn't wear [​IMG]

Looking forward to it, thanks! Remember, err on the side of absurdly large pictures. [​IMG]

11. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

does anybody know who he is? what he does for a lving?

12. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

does anybody know who he is? what he does for a lving?

I believe Mory works at Eredi Pisano on Madison Ave.

13. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Re: the waist suppression, I get the impression that Mory is a little fuller of face than he was when first pictured by the Sartorialist a month or two ago. So perhaps he has gained a little weight but wears the same sharply cut suits.

14. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Etro meets picnic tablecloth. Why not?

15. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Harlem also had the rather noted "Harlem Balls," which were like the American equivalent of the Deco period French drag balls with WASP socialites, European royalty, intellectuals, the gay community, and film stars coming down to partake in the fun. Most were hosted by Madam CJ Walker's daughter, A'Lelia Walker who lived at Villa Lewaro, a palace-like structure, on the Hudson.

That would have been a blast!