1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

On the Street in NYC....Old Man Mory

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The Sartorialist, May 12, 2006.

1. teddieriley

teddieriley Distinguished Member

I find that black people can really pull off color combinations most wouldn't even think about. Looks good on him. Couldn't say the same for myself. The coat looks too tight though. Too much of an hourglass shape.

2. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Stylish Dinosaur

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Hate the tie. Love the shirt. And jeepers, how does the man breathe? Way too much suppression!

3. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Awful.

[​IMG]

Well, I wouldn't go that far but the tie and shirt together are a bit much. That shirt looks like it might cause vertigo if he took the jacket off. Also, stripes on the shirt and the checkered pattern on the tie just seem to clash too much. The tie is also tied real short, which I don't think is helping. Although, if I had to choose between dressing like him and dressing like 90% of the guys I see on the street, I'd pick dresing like Mory.

4. gza

gza Senior Member

Waist suppression? It looks more like mid-torso suppression to me.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

Well, I wouldn't go that far but the tie and shirt together are a bit much. That shirt looks like it might cause vertigo if he took the jacket off. Also, stripes on the shirt and the checkered pattern on the tie just seem to clash too much. The tie is also tied real short, which I don't think is helping. Although, if I had to choose between dressing like him and dressing like 90% of the guys I see on the street, I'd pick dresing like Mory.

I was being charitable. Remember, I am one of the guys who liked the Thom Browne stuff, so don't assume that I bash all of these pictures.

That said, this guy looks like a freaking clown. I would not go near that shirt or that tie. They are both abominations and fly in the face of any sense of taste. The jacket cut is really severe, but I can get past that. I look at the shirt and I think Ronald McDonald. I look at the tie and I think Ronald McDonald. I look at the two together and think that Ronald dropped a couple hits of acid.

6. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I was being charitable. Remember, I am one of the guys who liked the Thom Browne stuff, so don't assume that I bash all of these pictures.

That said, this guy looks like a freaking clown. I would not go near that shirt or that tie. They are both abominations and fly in the face of any sense of taste. The jacket cut is really severe, but I can get past that. I look at the shirt and I think Ronald McDonald. I look at the tie and I think Ronald McDonald. I look at the two together and think that Ronald dropped a couple hits of acid.

Well, I have a treat for you!! I am in the process of taking pics of this season's Eredi Pisano catalogue to post on the forum and some of the stuff will make you barf but for the most part, the clothing is pretty decent. Mory, definitely goes out of his way to dress that way as most of the stuff there is not so bold. I'll also be posting pics of this month's Last magazine. There are some very expensive shoes there that Ronald McDonald wouldn't wear [​IMG]

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Well, I have a treat for you!! I am in the process of taking pics of this season's Eredi Pisano catalogue to post on the forum and some of the stuff will make you barf but for the most part, the clothing is pretty decent. Mory, definitely goes out of his way to dress that way as most of the stuff there is not so bold. I'll also be posting pics of this month's Last magazine. There are some very expensive shoes there that Ronald McDonald wouldn't wear [​IMG]

I have been in the store. I think that some of the stuff is fun, although it is not my style.

I think that he dresses like the wizards in Harry Potter when they try to look like regular people.

8. Margaret

Margaret Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

Good point -- the dark jacket is really the only thing holding this together (and by a single, seemingly very-strained button at that). He takes that jacket off and it's "game over", black man style or no. [​IMG]

Good god, there really is a good solid two inches between the point of his tie and the top of his waistband!

9. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior Member

The shirt and tie does not go well with the suit and isn't the jacket a bit tight fitting?

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

I feel his suit should have extreme roping, and pagoda shoulders to compensate with the very British cut of the waist and skirt.

11. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Mory's such a badass. You only live once.

12. lutfa

lutfa Senior Member

I wonder if you say blackman style to his face.Or arabman style ,hungarian man style or sicilian man style.

13. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I wonder if you say blackman style to his face.Or arabman style ,hungarian man style or sicilian man style.
    Huh?

14. Teacher

Teacher Stylish Dinosaur

Nope. I like each item individually (though the waist supression is a but much)...however, the shirt and tie just DON'T work together. Now, if the shirt were a mango or medium blue, the ensemble could be very nice.

Who is this guy, buy the way??

15. Rome

Rome Mr. Chocolates Godiva

Yes, "Black Man Style". Black men get away with wearing unreasonable cuts and colors. I think it has to do with darker skin tone and bright colors having more appeal to the eye, don't make this racial. (For a brief on "Black Man Style" take a look at the Stacey Adams Catalog.)

The colors are vibrant, even more so on Mory but... the second button is way too stressed, his tie is short (apart from creating an optical illusion with that shirt), and his arm is bulging beyond the shoulder, not to mention his head looks huge. I think had he toned it down on the suppression and had his tie been solid this would have been a great outfit.