• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On the Street in NYC.....New York Eccentric

The Sartorialist

Reaction score
nyce15la.jpg

More at The Sartorialist http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/

Vaclav

Reaction score
What's that orange,on a lady's leg?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The older gentleman with his hands in his pockets looks like my grandpa

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Almost looks like the first chap is wearing pumps.
laugh.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love him. His name is Patrick something. A real character.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
coat, like.

hat and shoes, not so much.

drake

Reaction score
I think he's hideous. No man, or woman, should be that artificial looking.

His cloths suck too.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oooh! I loved him in 21 Jump Street!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Patrick McDonald writes a colum called The Highbrow in reference to his Marlene Dietrich-esque eyebrows for Paper Magazine.

Sort of like a latter day Quentin Crisp.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea who his tailor is? In what I think was his previous appearance on The Sartorialist, he was wearing a green corduroy three-piece suit with floral embroidery that I thought was great fun.

(I'm assuming here that at least some of what he wears is bespoke/MTM rather than off-the-rack.)

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His make-up is a little bit contrived, but the outfit is great. Helmut Lang made blue shoes like these in one of the past S/S season.

!luc

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the tailor. His clothing looks pretty RTW though.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
His make-up is a little bit contrived, but the outfit is great. Helmut Lang made blue shoes like these in one of the past S/S season.

!luc

And Luc-Emmanuel gets the gold star for the day for guessing the main word here: "contrived." Yup...it looks like he's trying very, very hard to get attention (and it worked).

DandySF

Reaction score
Patrick's bio from the "New York Social Diary"

Patrick McDonald. According to his public relations bio, Patrick McDonald is known as "Dandy" to the fashionista crowd. This I never knew until I read the bio. The title sort of fits although I don't think it quite covers it. It also never occurred to me that Patrick had a publicist, although it makes sense - this is New York and he is a man who is seriously out and about. And out and about seriously.

It never occurred to me that he might have a publicist because he doesn't need one; he's his own best. Take a look at him. This is a man, no matter where you might run into him "” at a party, at a club, coming out of Louis Vuitton on Fifth Avenue, at a benefit "” always ready for his (full-length) closeup, and like all pros, he never disappoints. There's an artistry and discipline in that that is rare these days, even in New York.

He's fairly new to my eyes - I think I first saw him a few years ago at an art gallery opening. Although he's been a well-established New York scene-ster for a couple of decades. The first time I saw him I thought it was a costume. Which it is. His costume. Complete, right down to the ever-present chapeau, the dyed red hair (what you can see of it, underneath), the impeccably applied make-up, the color mix which although it varies, is always consistent with the sartorial impression he's out to create. And create he does.

He was born in Germany, of American parents, with a twin (which is hard to imagine on the face of it). I could be wrong but I have a feeling you might not recognize his twin (who lives in Los Angeles) if they were together in the same room.

He was brought up in California, went to prep school in Hawaii (Can you see him as a preppie? No?) He went to Pepperdine, that citadel of American Conservatism-goes- Surf City overlooking the Pacific. From there, he came (or possibly fled) to New York, in the 1970s, where he took up modeling and the Studio 54 life.

Fashion is his love; fashion is his passion. In the 70s he worked for Fiorucci which was the "cutting edge" retailer of that decade, and then was an assistant buyer for Barney's European collections. From there he worked for the late, lamented Fabrice, and for the past eleven years and up until recently, he was on the staff of couturier John Anthony. He writes - there's a column appropriately called "Highbrow" in Paper magazine. His image has appeared in (besides Paper and the New York Social Diary) Detour, the New York Times Style Section, Sportwear International, Russian Vogue, and is also featured in an upcoming book The Style Makers.

Patrick personifies the New York fashionista, consistently astonishing, seriously imaginative and whimsical and kidding but not. Off-camera, he can be as arch as that highbrow eyebrow, yet softspoken, courteous with a bit of that down home West Coast aw-shucks, and a very pleasant fellow, a one-man band on the run(way).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads