• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On the Street in NYC....Eveningwear for Day

The Sartorialist

Reaction score
quinndavid8xx.jpg

More at The Sartorialist http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/

Duveen

Reaction score
A very particular look - part Macaulay Culkin, part Edward Scissorhands. Ironically, the excessive formality only serves to play up his youth and the costumey nature of the ensemble.

All in all, I kinda like it, but it is sooo self-conscious. While it is stylistically distinctive, it doesn't meet the 'natural extension of oneself' test, it is more 'I choose interesting clothes and let them do the talking'. Certainly that is a strategy that works, and it grabs attention.

I know that the whole understated yadda-yadda gets excessive play with this group, and can lead to one being boring. And I know that in NYC it often feels like one needs to shout to be heard. But the question to ask is - am I going to get taken for someone who is using a gimmick, or for a truly distinctive and dashing individual?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I think he looks great. It's nice to see guys wearing clothes that extend beyond the unofficial mantra of style that gets passed around on these kind of forae. His looks works with his choice in wardrobe and I'm betting that he is as particular about his clothing choices as someone who is more traditionally regarded as "well dressed". Just because they aren't *your* choices doesn't make it costumey or affected. After all, anyone who is "well dressed" is self conscious to a great degree. Otherwise there wouldnt be tons of threads asking how this shirt looks or how those shoes look with a suit etc etc.

btw, I really dig that scarf

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an example of metro sexuality, fashion club, and fashionista over being well dressed for business (me). If he likes it, it's fine by me. But I won't be seeing him at the next board meeting.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
But I won't be seeing him at the next board meeting.

I'm pretty sure he doesnt want to be at your next board meeting. at least critique the guy in the context of *his* environment, not yours.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
metro sexuality
No offense, Soph, but I think that's way off. Or you have a v. different meaning for metrosexual than I. This guy's doing his own thing.

I do think there's an element of theatricality that would put me off, personally (as in, I probably have very little in common with this guy), but he seems to be pulling it off.

As for accessories, is that a black eye?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's not metrosexuality. he looks gay with a capital G.

tangerine

Reaction score
As I embark on my fifth or sixth childhood, I have picked up my stratocaster again and spend a little time most evenings rocking out (with my headphones plugged into my Peavey so as not to get evicted.)

Ray Davies sang about not wanting to spend his life living in a rock and roll fantasy, but I do want to spend this part of mine doing that.

Lately I've been wearing eyeliner and nailpolish to work. I am lucky enough to be able to do that in my job. No board meetings, hurray!

Some people give me weird (or disgusted) looks when I'm walking around the business district at lunchtime, but that's the point, isn't it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads