• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On the sad state of affairs for the NY legal market

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my friend just left Fordham LAw and is having trouble getting a job. Unheard of for Fordham grads in NYC.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Go work for Odoreater!

The man can't even pay for himself right now.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
This isn't unique to New York. I live in a medium sized city and it's terrible here, too.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow. I can't believe people actually sent in applications for the first listing.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same in SoCal, but at least there are less overall lawyers in a concentrated area. I've been looking since graduation in May and haven't found anything.

samblau

Reaction score
I got a call this morning from a staffing agency for a quasi-legal research and writing job. 6 month commitment $20 p/h 40 hrs a week no benefits. I have no idea what to do, and I am a law review published author from a decent school with over a year of litigation experience.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only lawyers I know who haven't been affected are the personal injury guys. Trains are still going to wreck, employees are still going to get mauled by machines.

Granted, their business has been whittled down over the last 10+ years by tort reform, state law limits on punitives, dollar caps on pain and suffering, caps on soft tissue, etc. But over the last year they are still rolling right along.

Bruce9241

Reaction score
Is everyone here a lawyer? How does one become a lawyer? I'm not interested in becoming one, just interested in knowing the process. I went to school for Psychology. Not sure if that matters.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Head hunters should not be touching these types of positions (entry-level), especially at this time. New grads should be counseled not to approach agencies to seek any type of work; at most they could consider applying for agency jobs for which they can tell they are qualified.
Originally Posted by Bruce9241
Is everyone here a lawyer? How does one become a lawyer? I'm not interested in becoming one, just interested in knowing the process. I went to school for Psychology. Not sure if that matters.
Having an Bachelor's degree, you now write the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT), and apply to the schools of your choice. Then you spend a few more years at school and a year articling, then you take the BAR, and you're done.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will the legal market ever recover? M&A is no longer the goldmine it used to be. Not sure if it's worth it to go to law school anymore.

wilson brother

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My girl is a lawyer
lookaround.gif
and I am starting to think it's not a good career because the aggression
smack.gif
and negative energy
baldy[1].gif
can make a person really down inside
frown.gif
not to mention how it can effect how they treat the ones they love.

-Danny Wilson (the Guy)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads