• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On the fence about Filson

Reaction score
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies to this thread! Looking for experts of all kinds. I am looking to pick up a few Filson pieces, namely the small leather and canvas duffle for travel and the Mile Marker Jacket. I love their products and they are buy it once in terms of their great warranty. Every time I am about to pull the trigger I hesitate because I feel like it's a middle age brand and somewhat boring. While I am not 20 I want something that will last and look great. Any ideas on alternatives or am I just over thinking?

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right. Filson is kinda boring.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want a nice utility duffle for casual travel they certainly do that very well. To me, the brand got overplayed with the whole "Made in America" and Urban Lumberjack trends. So, if you want your luggage to make a statement about who you are, you might want to consider a brand or maker with a new or more unique style.

I would avoid Filson's apparel for the same reasons.

I own and use a few different things for travel. For regular trips, I have a black ballistic nylon case. It looks generic and doesn't stand out. I've flown over 1,000,000 miles and never had a bag lost. I think going generic is a smart stealth move. As much as I love the cool look of those aluminum Rimowa cases, they just seem to say "Take me".

When I'm one a casual getaway I have an old LL Bean canvas duffle. I never use it for a business trip.

My wife bought me a beautiful leather carryon that never gets checked. It has no obvious brand or logo. It is large enough for a few days or as a second bag when taking longer trips. It is nice to have a somewhat distinguished looking bag and because I'm always carrying it, I'm not concerned about theft. Plus, leather just gets better as it ages. This one also has a shoulder strap.

Reaction score
If you want a nice utility duffle for casual travel they certainly do that very well. To me, the brand got overplayed with the whole "Made in America" and Urban Lumberjack trends. So, if you want your luggage to make a statement about who you are, you might want to consider a brand or maker with a new or more unique style.

I would avoid Filson's apparel for the same reasons.

I own and use a few different things for travel. For regular trips, I have a black ballistic nylon case. It looks generic and doesn't stand out. I've flown over 1,000,000 miles and never had a bag lost. I think going generic is a smart stealth move. As much as I love the cool look of those aluminum Rimowa cases, they just seem to say "Take me".

When I'm one a casual getaway I have an old LL Bean canvas duffle. I never use it for a business trip.

My wife bought me a beautiful leather carryon that never gets checked. It has no obvious brand or logo. It is large enough for a few days or as a second bag when taking longer trips. It is nice to have a somewhat distinguished looking bag and because I'm always carrying it, I'm not concerned about theft. Plus, leather just gets better as it ages. This one also has a shoulder strap.

Great points. I WANT a leather carry all. That's my ideal bag and size, plus they tend to be light weight. But even at a discount or sale price the one I want is out of my budget.

http://parabellumcollection.com/product/bags/medicine-man-duffle-793.html

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not a huge fan on the tan stuff, but i got their standard canvas in briefcase in black, which I use every day and love. Im 30+ though so...

Reaction score
Reaction score
I am 30+ and I agree the black is great. I wish they made all their pieces in black.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen the Briefings bags at trade shows. Designed in Japan and made by a U.S. Company that cut and sews bags for the U.S. Military. It looks good. No designer logo stuff. The photos speak for themselves.

Reaction score
I've seen the Briefings bags at trade shows. Designed in Japan and made by a U.S. Company that cut and sews bags for the U.S. Military. It looks good. No designer logo stuff. The photos speak for themselves.

Do you know who makes them here in the US?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a small filson duffel and shave kit bag....both are really nice . Also got an AE leather duffle for a great price.
Filson is perfect for one or two nights or gym bag and the AE strand bag is terrific for 3 or more nights got back from a five day trip with it.

trvlr472

Reaction score
I've got a Filson extra large duffel, an original briefcase I've had for over 15 years and a Sportmans bag I've had for almost as long as the briefcase. They all work great. I've also got quite a bit of their clothing and a few of their jackets. I've had problems with a couple of their shirts just falling apart and the Weekender Coat I originally bought was returned and they replaced it free of charge. It just started falling apart as well. It was really weird. Holes would just start appearing in the fabric out of the blue and they would fray around the edges really bad. All in all, I've been very satisfied with their luggage and wool products but shirts are a crap shoot and sizing and fit are another problem with some of their shirts. I've got two of their wool shirts and had three of their moleskin shirts. One of the moleskins just started falling apart. Not good for a shirt that cost $140 and they are even more now. The others are fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads