• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On suicide

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever close to you done it?

Last edited:

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're a failure, how did you planon doing it?

Yeah, that wasn't me, but my dumbs room-mate mocking me for being a mens style forum. I am alive and well and have never contemplated it. Changed the subject of the thread though!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yeah. an uncle hung himself a few years back. he's been having problems with his finance for a long time, had a very dysfunctional relationship with his kids and was suffering from parkinson's. I wasn't close to him, but the mess you leave when you off yourself is just too crazy imo.

oh, during the wake we found out he had another family when 4 of his other kids showed up.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not close, but a very far removed family member. He just slowly went crazy. He urinated on himself one day and never changed. A few weeks later he then kissed my mother's cousin's husband oh his cheek. He shot himself with a shotgun the day after that. My mother's cousin began vomiting as soon as she discovered him and that's all she remembered. He was buried in blue jeans because no one ever saw him wear anything else.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a few people i knew. and 1 distant cousin. very sad. :(

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
One of my best friends killed himself almost a year ago. I posted about it on here:

So my friend Cason...there are lots of unanswered questions, things that we will never know. The police don't suspect foul play, but he was found in a part of town that he would have no reason to be in (it's nice, but we don't know anyone there). There was nothing in his wallet - everything had been taken out. They hinted at a possible accidental overdose, but will only speak to the next of kin. Meanwhile, he and my other two friends were due to move out of this house tomorrow. The other two guys are on their way to Texas, while Cason had gotten a job in Santa Barbara. So I've had to go over the past couple of days and pack up Cason's stuff, storing it at my house until his family will come and get it. Packing it up was just brutal. He'd been acting odd, been depressed, but one of his brothers had died in December. We tried to get him to talk about it, but he never would. That and a lot of other stuff just doesn't add up. And I guess it never will. I've been depressed before, rather severely, so I can understand what it's like. But he never even hinted at suicide. Just sucks, really bad.

Later, I found out he did it by consuming antifreeze (with subsequent organ failure), an extremely painful way to go. He did it in a wooded patch between a Holiday Inn Express (insert morbid joke here) and a for-profit university. Just bizarre. Also turned out his brother was alive and well and there likely was no job in Santa Barbara. He also told a close female friend that he thought he was developing schizophrenia. What a mess. I still haven't deleted his number from my phone, kinda foolish of me.

Also, I gave all the other stuff of his that I thought his family wouldn't want to a neighbor who talked and talked about how much she loved Cason and we agreed that Cason would really want it to go to a local women's shelter's thrift store. She agreed to take it, said it was the least she could do. The next week I happened to drive by and the woman was selling it in a yard sale. A pretty ugly scene ensued.

Also, my uncle tried to kill himself, wound up severing his spinal cord.

So anyway, yeah, suicide sucks, obviously. It may end the person's perceived short-term problems, but really hurts those left behind

Last edited:

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember you posting that, FLMM, but, for obvious reasons, you didn't have that much information when it happened. The details are just awful.

Last edited:

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow sorry to hear about your friend. RE: the number in your phone, I kept my dad's cell number in my phone for years after he died. I even tried calling it a few times after he passed just to hear his voicemail greeting. Eventually it was disconnected but for the first few weeks it was still there. :(

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's funny how we do things like keep numbers in our phone. I've done the same thing with my good friend who died a couple months ago. I'm still his Facebook friend, too. I feel like I should delete both, and the thought has crossed my mind a couple of times, but I can't bring myself to do it.

It was a weird slap in the face recently when Facebook kept reminding me it was his birthday.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's funny how we do things like keep numbers in our phone. I've done the same thing with my good friend who died a couple months ago. I'm still his Facebook friend, too. I feel like I should delete both, and the thought has crossed my mind a couple of times, but I can't bring myself to do it.
It was a weird slap in the face recently when Facebook kept reminding me it was his birthday.

+1. just saw an old email from my grandfather who passed away almost 2 years ago. oddly enough, it was titled, "i am still alive." could not get myself to delete it.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a new report of mine was issued a mobile phone that used to belong to a guy in my office who passed away. it was pretty creepy the first time I got a call from him.

I haven't had any close friends, a family member, a kid who was in high school with me, some other aquantances.

the most horrific story - a female friend of a good friend of mine killed herself. she was on the same base as he was in the army, and their apartment were across from each other. she took his gun in the night, opened the doors to their apartments, sat on the floor across from the doors and shot herself with his gun. he woke up and as soon as he rolled out of bed he saw her.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

a new report of mine was issued a mobile phone that used to belong to a guy in my office who passed away. it was pretty creepy the first time I got a call from him.
I haven't had any close friends, a family member, a kid who was in high school with me, some other aquantances.
the most horrific story - a female friend of a good friend of mine killed herself. she was on the same base as he was in the army, and their apartment were across from each other. she took his gun in the night, opened the doors to their apartments, sat on the floor across from the doors and shot herself with his gun. he woke up and as soon as he rolled out of bed he saw her.

Beyond messed up. Wonder if there was something between them

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Social suicde?

All the time...

Terminal suicide?

Life is too precious..

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried it a couple of times. Never had the stones to actually succeed though.

It has always confused me that suicide is the "cowards way out". Naturally it takes strength to go through **** and keep standing but there were two main arguments that always struck me while I was going through it:

1. It takes some serious, concious, full-on truth telling to do it. How often can you honestly say that you'e made a decision with every cell in your body? Each pill you swallow is a behaviour that has to truly reflect your dearest wish in life. Saying "I Do" on your wedding day, signing that mortgage? They all have doubt, even if its just that 1%. But the day you choose to end it all? Its a moment of assertiveness in what is usually a sea of uncertainty, difficulty and pointlessness. Maybe it is the cowards way out, but but 99% of you wouldn't have the balls to open that door.

2. What if it is a rational choice? What if you genuinely believe that your life has reached and surpassed a climax and that the only potential future is one that you will find unfulfilled and humiliating? What if you aren't depressed, but have decided that you have no use for this "gift" of life that was forced upon you?

MASSIVE ******* NOTE: I do not, nor would I ever, advocate suicide. I just believe that having gone through it that people have little to offer but platitudes which are really of no help to anyone. "things will get better" and "you have so much to live for" mean nothing to someone who has considered killing themselves for more than 4 hours. Looking at the rationale through a paradigm of something other than pity could help anyone who has to deal with this issue with a loved one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads