On suicide

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MarkI, Mar 28, 2012.

1. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

My uncle burned down his house then shot himself in the head with a shotgun. then his son drowned in a tractor when he was 19. (his hands were broken from trying to break the window open) I feel really sorry for my Aunt. I feel like life is to precious to even consider ending it, considering the chances of you/me even being on this planet.

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

3. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I've had three friends die in the past two years. All thought to be suicides. One never confirmed (it was an overdose on pills, so not really certain if it was on purpose as he had a history of drug abuse), one turned out to be a heart condition he was oblivious to (he had always been a pill popper, so that was my first guess), and the other a pretty obvious suicide (shot himself in the head) but his parents were adamant at the funeral to insist that the gun accidentally went off when he was cleaning it. Which made me sad that they were choosing to deal with his death that way. All we're truly good friends of mine who I had grown away from when I went to school. Very sad to lose someone in their early 20s. :(

4. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I had an acquaintance who killed himself. He hung himself in his attic on his son's birthday. I really feel terrible for his son having to deal with that every year on his birthday.

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Man, that just pisses me off.

6. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Jesus. This I don't get. I had a student who graduated last year, the weekend of her graduation, her father threw himself off the roof of their 8th floor apartment building, falling past her room. The graduation was Friday, he killed himself Saturday, and the kid came to school on Monday cause she said she felt like she needed to be here, as it was like her home. I had never cried in public (well, aside from the Landon Donovan WC goal against Algeria) except for when I had to tell my colleagues what happened as they didn't know. I can't ever imagine leaving my kids that kind of memory...I still check up on her and her older brother whom I also taught, and they seem to be doing well...poor kids.

7. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

+1 It makes me sick. It was such a self centered, sick thing to do.

8. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Suicide is the ultimate self-centered behavior. I've known too many, it breaks my heart to think about it.

9. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Suicide is already such a trauma...

Why inflicting more pain on your loved ones???

I knew a girl who find her dad hanging in the cellar..

She was 10 at the time..

10. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I support scuicide wether its physical or mental pain. Providing you don't have kids or there grown (unless your dependent on people). Just don't do it in front of someone.

~Kurt

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Agreed, I've been through quite a bit of ups and downs. Experience of both helps to minimize the need to cope with downs.

12. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

My daughter lost a classmate to suicide just this weekend. Not someone she knew well, even though it's a very small school.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  13. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Who was she???

It is always sad to see someone young in that manner..

You always think if you could have found the right words at the right moment.

14. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

A classmate. My daughter is 16.

15. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

been a sad year. a friend's younger brother, while on vacation in arizona, went to a shooting range alone and shot himself in the head. another friend's brother who i was also friends with had a seizure in his apartment, swallowed his tongue and suffocated. last year after a night at the bar a friend was having a cigarette on his 15th floor balcony, sitting on the railing, and fell off backwards. talk of suicide but no one had seen signs of depression. very sad.
    also feel for the guys mentioning genetics in all of this- great grandfather killed himself on a hunting trip and his daughter did the same probably 40 years later. scary to think others in my family might be struggling but never mention it to me.