• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On Short Sleeved Dress Shirts (again)

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever the rules are on short-sleeved dress shirts, I have to say that during the world cup I've seen some coaches from the teams wearing short sleeved dress shirts tucked into trousers (but no tie - thank god), that actually looked really good. They're probably wearing this because it is really hot, but I think it's a nice look where the shirt is fitted in the body and especially in the sleeves. If the sleeves are fitted to the point where they are snug against the arms (and especially if you have some decent guns) then it looks pretty good. Any thoughts?

muelleran

Reaction score
I don't know. I still wouldn't wear one - wouldn't know for what occasion.
Soccer coaches are not the kind of people I look at for style. I did notice that Klinsmann's shirts do fit and that looks OK (long sleeves).
In my opinion, however, soccer coaches should stick with their own tradition:
laugh.gif

schoen1.jpg

Soccer coaches today are unsure what they are supposed to wear in the first place. But what are you supposed to do after Beckenbauer? Does he wear short sleeved shirts?

20050812dasdaiftb_34_I_SCO.jpg

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about Beckenbauer, but Marco Van Basten was wearing a very sharp short-sleeved dress shirt today.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here we go. Found a picture of Marco from today:

marco3bl.jpg

Roy Biggins

Reaction score
I see a lot of short-sleeved shirts in Formula 1 racing. They seem appropriate for the mechanics and drivers to wear.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
That looks kind of like a knit.

CoryB

Reaction score
I thought Marco looked great today (in addition to fantastic Netherlands vs Portugal game; Deca actually picked up the ball like a 5-year old). I think his shirt was likely cotton/spandex blend; it had a slight sheen to it. As Netherland was kitted by Nike one might be able to find a similar shirt. I think what made the shirt look job was Marco's great arms and upper body.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CoryB
I thought Marco looked great today (in addition to fantastic Netherlands vs Portugal game; Deca actually picked up the ball like a 5-year old). I think his shirt was likely cotton/spandex blend; it had a slight sheen to it. As Netherland was kitted by Nike one might be able to find a similar shirt. I think what made the shirt look job was Marco's great arms and upper body.

Yeah, it's definitely possible that the shirt was some kind of blend. What really looks good about it, compared to other short sleeve dress shirts, is that the sleeves fit tightly around the arms, unlike the crappy Sears short sleeve dress shirts that people usually think about that have the huge sleeves.

By the way, that was one hell of a game, but the referee kind of ruined. I mean, 4 red cards and 16 yellow cards is just ridiculous. Let the guys friggin play for god's sakes.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Well mechanics, certainly. Don't really want those sleeves catching on engine stuff (you can tell I'm a car guy by my use of technical jargon) during pit stops.

I believe that the pit crew would wear long sleeve fire-suits during races.
sly.gif

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Here we go. Found a picture of Marco from today:

marco3bl.jpg

Well, this is not really in the same league with what people are talking about when they discuss 'short sleeved dress shirts'. Given the drape of the fabric, the banded sleeves, and the unstructured collar, we're basically looking at a standard athletic-type shirt that just happens to have a button front. Even Dilbert would almost look cool in one of those.
tounge.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PatriotsFan
I would think that a short sleeve button down shirt woudl be better with roomier arm space as it would seem to be more pratical for the hot weather.

I think short sleeved shirts with roomy sleeves make you look like you bought your shirt at JC Penny. You're already compromising on the exchange between being cool and being stylish with wearing short sleeved dress shirts in the first place, you don't need to compromise on the roominess of the sleeves too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads