• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On Purple Tie + Black Shirt, again...

Suitable

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

My first post in this forum, please bear with me for opening a new thread here and writing too many details, or too few : )

I've recently started a new job and needed to broaden a bit my wardrobe, especially with respect to business clothes.
Since I'm still very inexperienced when it comes to matching colors and patterns, very rarely used ties before, mostly I've opted for solid colors.

Now, I'm on a business trip, with some of the aforementioned new set, and having been invited for a dinner next week (private event, kind of a date, let's say, and no clue about the target place), was wondering if the following combination would be okay, or if I'm heading in a totally wrong direction. Would like also to keep the outcome of this discussion for future reference on matching rules.
Here I wanted to create something slightly eye catching, with some elegance but not too formal (thus jeans, and moreover might happen that we go out to have a drink after-dinner)... It seems that here the purple tie + black shirt combination is not very welcome, but can't honestly follow much this "hostility" : )

---
Blue Jeans
Black Shirt (Solid Color)
http://www.camicissima.com/new/collezioni/camicie/images/CMS2000126950.jpg
Purple Tie (Solid Color)
http://www.camicissima.com/new/collezioni/cravatte/images/0003tie.jpg
(second column, in the middle)
Navy Trench Coat
http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/us/en/zara-us-S2012/189526/629695/TRENCH%2BCOAT%2BWITH%2BCHECKED%2BLINING
Black Shoes
Black Belt
No suit jacket (since have only fairly classic ones with me).
---

And, was also wondering, maybe a tie clip to fit-in the unusual detail (satin black to blend in the shirt? polished steel to match the belt buckle?), if I'll manage to find one before the event.

Thank you all!

P.S.: if that matters, have dark brown hair (almost black), and an average skin tone, blue eyes.

viator

Reaction score
I would say definitely do not wear a black shirt with a purple tie. I would go for a more classic combination, especially if you are with a "new set" in a new setting. Is the black shirt the only thing you have to wear? If so, wear it without a tie. A different shirt color would be much better, however.

KodakKid

Reaction score
I will also ditch the black shirt purple tie. If you want to wear a tie, I would go with a white shirt, purple tie and slim cardigan depending on how formal is your diner. If you want to wear the black shirt I would go without a tie.

ElDave

Reaction score
I would never wear a black shirt to work unless it was a black polo on casual Friday. Black shirts are not appropriate for work unless it's part of a uniform dictated by the company.

With that said, I would consider wearing a black shirt with dark jeans if it was A) very late and B) a very informal (or trendy) spot.

If the A and B of the above statement are not the case, I'd probably go toward jeans/patterned shirt/sport coat (given the options I assume you have).

Also, do not wear a tie without a jacket.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. Wear a different shirt or lose the tie if you don't have a shirt option.

Outside of a nightclub, a black shirt has very little use.

Ayrton

Reaction score
Notice in your second photo there are no black shirts with ties (hint, hint)
tounge.gif

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yea, you're kind of doing it wrong. +1 to what everyone has said so far. Especially to not wearing a tie without a jacket. This is never going to be attractive or appropriate.

But more broadly, focus more on dressing appropriately to the occasion rather than trying to be eye-catching. Figure out what kind of a place you're going to for this dinner and whether it's a date or not and adapt your attire to the situation. At this point, doing otherwise will just look like you're trying way too hard and in the wrong directions, for instance if you showed up to a restaurant wearing a black shirt purple tie and jeans with no jacket.

Suitable

Reaction score
Alright, alright, got the message, no black shirt... thank you all for the helpful advice : )
Will try to post some pics soon, my matching choices are rather limited given that I have just my suitcase with me, but let's see what comes out...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics