1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

On Purple Tie + Black Shirt, again...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Suitable, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Suitable

Suitable New Member

Hello everybody,

My first post in this forum, please bear with me for opening a new thread here and writing too many details, or too few : )

I've recently started a new job and needed to broaden a bit my wardrobe, especially with respect to business clothes.
    Since I'm still very inexperienced when it comes to matching colors and patterns, very rarely used ties before, mostly I've opted for solid colors.

Now, I'm on a business trip, with some of the aforementioned new set, and having been invited for a dinner next week (private event, kind of a date, let's say, and no clue about the target place), was wondering if the following combination would be okay, or if I'm heading in a totally wrong direction. Would like also to keep the outcome of this discussion for future reference on matching rules.
    Here I wanted to create something slightly eye catching, with some elegance but not too formal (thus jeans, and moreover might happen that we go out to have a drink after-dinner)... It seems that here the purple tie + black shirt combination is not very welcome, but can't honestly follow much this "hostility" : )

---
    Blue Jeans
    Black Shirt (Solid Color)
    http://www.camicissima.com/new/collezioni/camicie/images/CMS2000126950.jpg
    Purple Tie (Solid Color)
    http://www.camicissima.com/new/collezioni/cravatte/images/0003tie.jpg
    (second column, in the middle)
    Navy Trench Coat
    http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/us/en/zara-us-S2012/189526/629695/TRENCH%2BCOAT%2BWITH%2BCHECKED%2BLINING
    Black Shoes
    Black Belt
    No suit jacket (since have only fairly classic ones with me).
    ---

And, was also wondering, maybe a tie clip to fit-in the unusual detail (satin black to blend in the shirt? polished steel to match the belt buckle?), if I'll manage to find one before the event.

Thank you all!

P.S.: if that matters, have dark brown hair (almost black), and an average skin tone, blue eyes.

2. viator

viator Senior member

I would say definitely do not wear a black shirt with a purple tie. I would go for a more classic combination, especially if you are with a "new set" in a new setting. Is the black shirt the only thing you have to wear? If so, wear it without a tie. A different shirt color would be much better, however.

3. KodakKid

KodakKid Member

I will also ditch the black shirt purple tie. If you want to wear a tie, I would go with a white shirt, purple tie and slim cardigan depending on how formal is your diner. If you want to wear the black shirt I would go without a tie.

4. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I would never wear a black shirt to work unless it was a black polo on casual Friday. Black shirts are not appropriate for work unless it's part of a uniform dictated by the company.

With that said, I would consider wearing a black shirt with dark jeans if it was A) very late and B) a very informal (or trendy) spot.

If the A and B of the above statement are not the case, I'd probably go toward jeans/patterned shirt/sport coat (given the options I assume you have).

Also, do not wear a tie without a jacket.

5. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

Don't do it. Wear a different shirt or lose the tie if you don't have a shirt option.

Outside of a nightclub, a black shirt has very little use.

6. Ayrton

Ayrton Well-Known Member

Notice in your second photo there are no black shirts with ties (hint, hint) [​IMG]

7. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

^ This.

8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yea, you're kind of doing it wrong. +1 to what everyone has said so far. Especially to not wearing a tie without a jacket. This is never going to be attractive or appropriate.

But more broadly, focus more on dressing appropriately to the occasion rather than trying to be eye-catching. Figure out what kind of a place you're going to for this dinner and whether it's a date or not and adapt your attire to the situation. At this point, doing otherwise will just look like you're trying way too hard and in the wrong directions, for instance if you showed up to a restaurant wearing a black shirt purple tie and jeans with no jacket.

9. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

or the 1980's

or a salesman at Radioshack.

10. cluebird

cluebird Member

So very true.

11. Suitable

Suitable New Member

Alright, alright, got the message, no black shirt... thank you all for the helpful advice : )
    Will try to post some pics soon, my matching choices are rather limited given that I have just my suitcase with me, but let's see what comes out...

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Thank goodness.