• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On pattern coordination between jacket/shirt/tie.......................

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So I've noticed that a lot of the newer posters like wearing multiple patterns and since I've been here there are always questions on how to wear 2-3 patterns, questions on scale etc. I just put together a few pics of what I think works when combining multiple patterns. Keep in mind that in my manner of dressing, I rarely if ever wear more than two patterns, and really only prefer to wear one, and I am one of those solid navy tie with everything guys. Mostly, these are outfits that I would not wear now, but again, that I think serve a purpose as a base for those that have trouble combining multiple patterns. These are just my opinions, not rules and I hope this threak serves a purpose, maybe even people can post outfits here that they are having trouble with from a pattern perspective to get feedback. I purposely did not use any solid blue shirts or solid ties because I don't think anyone needs help pairing those items.

First up is a suit. The fabric is a muted brown plaid, so it allows for a bolder shirt and tie. If you look at the outfit, you'll notice there are only really 2 colors in the whole thing, but it pops. I find that muted plaids lend themselves nicely to tattersall/gingham shirts, a striped shirt could just as easily be replaced here, but not too wide on the stripe spacing. What I would not wear here are a plaid shirt or tie, regardless of scale. The other thing I would keep in mind, when wearing patterns, the pattern itself are usually loud enough, no need to ramp up the volume by wearing crazy colors. Save the purple and green plaid tie for the solid navy jacket and blue shirt. the louder the pattern, the more muted the color should be.

005.jpg

002-1.jpg

Next up is a somewhat similar outfit, brown coat, blue shirt, blue tie. This coat has a streak or rust/brick running through it, so while muted, it has a bit more pop than the one above. Because of that, I kept the shirt very conservative (short of a solid shirt) and the tie has complimentary colors in its pattern. I think everything here goes together tastefully, nothing clashes nor screams at you and nothing is matchy-matchy. Just because the jacket has that rust/brink line does not mean that I run out to find a tie or shirt with a similar color in it to pick up the jacket, matching is not good, coordinating is better.

015.jpg

017.jpg

Now we get a little bit louder. I've noticed a few coats here, grey glen plaids/PoW's that have been too muted. On any pattern that a suit could be made of, you need to go bolder if it is a sportcoat. If it is a windowpane or PoW, it can't be too muted because then it looks like a suit jacket (applies mostly to worsted's). With a coat this loud, I am going to keep everything else as quiet as possible but since I need to have a patterned shirt and tie, I chose something brown as I find that brown "soothes" greys. Again, there are some coordinating colors and while a loud jacket, the outfit overall is not extremely loud. The big plaid of the jacket is large enough to not clash with the smaller checks of the shirt. the tie brings both things together.

025-1.jpg

028-1.jpg

I ran out of daylight for the pics so that is all that I have for now, feel free to post your own combinations, questions or to take apart my combinations.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I never do this any more. The closest I get is a mircopattern in the suit like a sharkskin which is solid from a distance.

I think your first two are OK, the last the tones are too close.

Anyway, I am an old man who wears solids 99% of the time.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I never do this any more. The closest I get is a mircopattern in the suit like a sharkskin which is solid from a distance.
I think your first two are OK, the last the tones are too close.
Anyway, I am an old man who wears solids 99% of the time.

I don't really do this either, I wear one pattern piece and that is pretty much it. My pics are not great. The last one is a grey jacket, shirt and tie are brown. Anyway, the hope is to turn this into an ongoing discussion thread with people posting there multiple patterned outfits.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
When I wear an odd jacket, these days the tie is always a repp or knit. I never wear a printed or woven pattern.

The top pick of the bottom combo makes the coat look tan. In the bottom pic, I can tell it's gray.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All those combinations are far too busy to my eye :/

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

All those combinations are far too busy to my eye :/

The point of the thread is about "busy" combinations. If they are not busy, then there is no need to really think about it. I'll gladly post pics of my daily outfits which consists of a patterned or solid sportcoat, solid blue shirt and navy tie if it makes you happy, not sure what there is to glean from that.

CrAz3D

Reaction score
The shapes in #1 match well. The stripes v. squares in #2 are too dissonant. #3 is a clusterfrick of "AH MY EYES!"

The Thin Man

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I like all three, particularly how the colors complement each other in the first two. The way the scale of the checks and the jacket pattern mix in the third one doesn't quite fit, to me, but I like the color scheme. I could see (for the third one) how the color tone of the gray jacket and brown shirt may be too similar, but I really like the shirt/tie combo.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The shapes in #1 match well. The stripes v. squares in #2 are too dissonant. #3 is a clusterfrick of "AH MY EYES!"

For what it's worth, I like all three, particularly how the colors complement each other in the first two. The way the scale of the checks and the jacket pattern mix in the third one doesn't quite fit, to me, but I like the color scheme. I could see (for the third one) how the color tone of the gray jacket and brown shirt may be too similar, but I really like the shirt/tie combo.

Ok thats good. What would you guys change? If someone is sitting out there with a similar jacket and does not want to wear a solid shirt/tie, what do yo recommend. For me, I would have gone with a smaller checked shirt if I had one, a darker brown. I don't think stripes would work with this jacket. My picture colors are off, I wish the pics had come out better.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The point of the thread is about "busy" combinations. If they are not busy, then there is no need to really think about it. I'll gladly post pics of my daily outfits which consists of a patterned or solid sportcoat, solid blue shirt and navy tie if it makes you happy, not sure what there is to glean from that.

What I'm saying is, if this is how to do 'busy' well, my suggestion is: don't.

The Thin Man

Reaction score
Yeah, a smaller darker brown would work, and you could keep the tie. Have you set yourself an unnecessary challenge by not going with blue? I could see how you don't want it to be matchy-matchy, but isn't blue a default?

Is there something inherently tough about matching with glen plaids? I think you've succeeded, but it seems to be a particularly tough challenge, particularly with an overcheck.

What pant(a)s did you wear with the two jackets?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yeah, a smaller darker brown would work, and you could keep the tie. Have you set yourself an unnecessary challenge by not going with blue? I could see how you don't want it to be matchy-matchy, but isn't blue a default?
Is there something inherently tough about matching with glen plaids? I think you've succeeded, but it seems to be a particularly tough challenge, particularly with an overcheck.
What pant(a)s did you wear with the two jackets?

These are not combinations that I wore nor would wear as it is not my style but rather than tell someone, "just always wear a navy blazer, solid blue shirt and just about any tie and you'll be fine", I am saying, if you like to wear patterns, here are a few bases/foundations that we can look at/discuss and decide what is right/wrong about them and hopefully help someone that is looking at doing multipatterns. Discuss scale, colors etc.

I effectively wear two colors of pants (brown or grey), one color of shirt (blue) and one color of tie (navy) but I am not going to force that uniform down everyone's throat. One of the problems that the forum has undergone is that we are slowly beginning to look like Hugo Weaving in The Matrix. What is SF well dressed? Navy sportcoat/blazer suit and pair of double monks. Effectively the same exact **** that every blogger gushes over when some old italian guy is wearing it. I recognize that a lot of patterned stuff is gawdy and outfits could go wrong very easily but I'm tired of seeing the same crap everywhere. I can appreciate things I would never wear and there is a contingent here that likes to mix and match so this will hopefully turn into a repository for them. If all that matters anymore is soft shouldered/napoli/spalla whatever, double monks and anal beads, WTF is the point of coming here? There are about 100 bloggers that post that everyday.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ed, I like the combos you posted but that last one I think is too busy - shirt/jacket I mean.

Ok thats good. What would you guys change? If someone is sitting out there with a similar jacket and does not want to wear a solid shirt/tie, what do yo recommend. For me, I would have gone with a smaller checked shirt if I had one, a darker brown. I don't think stripes would work with this jacket. My picture colors are off, I wish the pics had come out better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics