On pattern coordination between jacket/shirt/tie.......................

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by edmorel, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I like chalk stripes but not the others. Rope in particular are too much. I like fuzzy stripes but that's all. Still a small % of my wardrobe. They are, as a general matter, harder to coordinaet with other things.

2. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Very impressive...

Not sure if this had been asked before: Do all your suits have similar style/cut?

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

grey flannel does not count as a pattern, I don't care how foggy it is

4. RJE

RJE Senior member

Vox, I like the plaid trou 'fit; I don't mind the first Four patterns on top (1); you can keep posting More tweed, but I'll never like it; Four patterns on top (2) is so close - but that pink ps is terrible. Both the colour, and the way the pattern seems to continue the suit pattern. Flannel suit outfit is fantastic.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It goes straight to your OP. You can write your own byline. Who do you think I am? Dan Rather? Ryan Seacrest?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

6. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

striped odd jackets are ok

[​IMG]

but seriously, I think this is a relatively younger crowd that shies away from pinstripes. Vox does have the Bush power suit and I think Spoo has a hunstman

7. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

This thread is inspiring. Please keep it going! [​IMG]

8. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like the tie, but not with that square. Would look good with an unbuttoned, charmingly askew BD.

I wear mostly solid ties when pairing patterned coat with patterned shirt these days, so I don't have much to add. But I will say that I find dotted knits often look good/suitably subtle when paired with a bengal-stripe shirt and a patterned coat. The narrowness of the tie and the dot-to-ground ratio plays well with a busier background.

Also, I'd hope that the pattern fans at whom the thread is aimed already have examples in mind that they like. It's easy to fall into the trap of pairing patterns to pair patterns, so I would urge any newcomers to think about whether they really like the resulting look. My default has become "Does this look better than it would with a solid tie?" Usually my answer is no.

9. tutee

tutee Senior member Dubiously Honored

Honestly I was just typing the same thing then deleted it but after reading your post thought of asking it again

so here this is for ed as he is the thread starter or anyone else

so far with you

Why do this anyways?

Seriously I am interested. Most SFers thinks very differently from me so it is good to know. Is it just for creativity? Trying to impress someone etc? There is no "correctness" related context for matching 4 patterns (if there ever was) nor is there any guarantee it will look better as 99.5% of the time it just doesn't. See Doc's post above. I can understand it if there is a need to evolve new pattern combos because you have exhausted all simpler ones and people have sort of memorized your simpler combos but that does not really happen that often, does it? So why the compulsion for 4 pattern mixing?

Also seems like to me that most of these checked shirts are in city spread collars. Wouldn't soft point collars would be a better idea if headed in that direction? I think vox posted a soft collar example.

10. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

:laugh:

Here's the thing: each obvious pattern or clashing color one adds to a classically tailored ensemble exponentially reduces the number of people who will like it, and then further doubles the possible number of people who will fail even more if they attempt to do the same thing.

The only out from this arithmetic to cultivate a Dandified Air of Do-Not-Care. No one here who posts today, BTW, has that.

Ed has created this thread as a hopeful palliative; instead, it is handing loaded shotguns to everyone, the kind that used to be in Looney Toons in which the barrels curve up and then back.

We'll soon find out.

Acrobatics with color and pattern have a deep basis in the what I might call the "haberdashery" tradition in American tailored clothing. It's quite different than the Brit/country/Windsor-y thing of all checks at once that influenced the go-to-hell schemes of Ivy style. The haberdashery style was the non-Ivy part of the mens shops in the big and medium sized cities.

Several of the Americans who post on SF who love classic style are Ivy-ish in tastes because of their boyhoods. So, you don't see the haberdashery look much, except in one dude: oldog/oldtrix. He explained once that even his tastes once tended toward the Ivy, but now, he's more comfortable with the attitude toward clothes that his father and uncles had. I love seeing it.

Alas, both the Ivy and the haberdashery look are kaput. Almost completely dead, never to rise again because both have lost their context.

Oh: and that's not a suit. If it were, that would have been awesome.

11. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Well, I don't do it so I can't really answer for that type of dresser, maybe o/o will answer but you can pretty much ask this of anything clothing related. Why wear double monks when single look more refined? Why wear balmoral boots instead of simply shoes. A wardrobe of solid blue shirt in different shades along with a few solid white shirts are all anyone needs, why get striped shirts? I guess part of my point in all this is that there is a majority style on SF, we all know what it pretty much is. Not everyone does it well and its not as easy as it looks, but there is no lack of pictures/discusssion on it. There are people that prefer to not look like a refined security guard. People who like dressing like Richard Anderson, Richard James etc. Even the late Duke wore a lot of patterns on occassion. So I am saying, there is a method of dress which is not really duscussed here, a group of guys who attempt it and we can beat them over the head until they dress like us (solid/small patterned shirt, solid/small patterned tie, solid suit), and make this a very boring forum or we can look to discuss and improve on a style that we may not necessarily agree with, and in doing that make the forum a better resource for everyone.

12. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

How about with a checked shirt?

[​IMG]

13. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is a big factor in whether I'll like an outfit. I sometimes like crazy, but it can't look deliberately crazy.

Eventually I hope to aim for the full Withnail.

14. RJE

RJE Senior member

I liked - and still like - that middle shot, Ed. The right shot of Iammatt - I have an urge to see a black strip on the jacket sleeve cuffs. Would that be too many cherries on the ice-cream sundae?

Whnay. put up a pin (rope?) stripe suit, but I thought the stripes too far apart for him. Vox's DB stripe is great. Maomao has one that's pretty good. YFYF has a very nice flannel something-stripe.

Doc, I'm cautious about the word better. A solid tie would be different; it will also usually be safer. It's easy to mistake safer for better. But we don't always have to choose the safest route :D.

15. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member