On pattern coordination between jacket/shirt/tie.......................

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by edmorel, Jul 16, 2012.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Somehow in this case to me a big stripe on the tie fits well and ties the two checks together better than a solid could. But I guess it might vary fit to fit.

2. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

OD/OT:

I don't mind those looks, tbh, though I suspect they will have some detractors on this thread. That said, they strike me as wearing uncomfortably warm for a 21st century office building, no?

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

In addition to scale, other factors also come into play: color, texture, sheen, vibrancy, etc.

4. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

No offense, cptjeff, but this shirt is hideous.

I agree with you and mafoofan that scale variance and texture (not sure if you mentioned this not?) are the most important elements when combining 3+ patterns. I'd also rarely do more than two of the same patterns, regardless of scale (stripes/stripes/stripes, etc.)

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

An attempt to illustrate my previous comment...apologies for the terrible pictures, but given that it's Manton, I hope he can sympathize:

[​IMG]

the jacket has a large check, seen better in this photo:

[​IMG]

6. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I think you and others are missing the point. This isn't a "help Ed dress in multiple patterns" thread. I don't dress this way. I dress incredibly boring. I wear solid blue shirts and solid navy ties 90% of the time that I dress up. I do not wear pocket squares. When I wear a loud jacket, everything else I put on is as loud as a whimper. I don't wear blue or green shoes, double monks, fun socks, beads etc etc. Olddog is perfect for this thread for example. The hope is that people (who like to wear patterns) come here, look at outfits and suggestions on scale, color cordination etc and improve their looks.

7. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

To dream . . .

8. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

I wore these combinations on two of the four or five days last winter that the outdoor temperatures in DC made them practical. In my office, which I keep on the chilly side, I shed my jacket unless I have visitors and was comfortable with the vests on and buttoned.

9. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

Manton - I'm sorry if this is outside the scope of the thread, but what would your position be on solid grenadines with a blazer or blue odd jacket? This is a combination I adopt quite often, and I don't think it is unduly formal. But I would appreciate your view.

10. jsanders65

jsanders65 Active Member

I agree with the first 2 suits can work but the rest looks boring. I'll wear 1 or 2 patterned pieces but not all three.

11. RJE

RJE Senior member

Ed, this thread is a great idea. However, your first post was three out of three combinations I wouldn't have done either. It's a tricky subject, but one raised repeatedly over the years. A lot of the people who say they don't like combinations such as these simply don't like complex combinations in general, rather than don't like some in particular, and I feel those people have less to tell me. To a potentially sudden silence, I think Vox falls into that category. It's an aesthetic thing, not a criticism.

I think that in using examples without pocket squares, you're missing part of the complexity.

Generally, I prefer separation - a solid shirt between obviously patterned tie and jacket. But this is negotiable if the shirt isn't overly mimicking the pattern of either tie or jacket. You can have a striped shirt with a striped suit/or striped tie with striped shirt, but they should be very different stripes - maybe different in intensity (more pale/less pale) or thickness, or a mixture. Or I might use texture instead of pattern - making the tie knitted or grenadine, for example. You can have a patterned tie on a gingham shirt, but not if the patterns begin to resemble the lines or size of the gingham.

When threads like this come up, people try to be friendly about it by only putting up either good examples, or their own questionable examples. I think people can learn more from bad examples running alongside the good. In an annual thread, I put up two posts of examples I considered generally good outfits (including good combinations):
    www.styleforum.net/t/281750/waywrn-2011/0_50#post_5150290

and a post of examples of bad pattern combinations:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/281750/waywrn-2011/0_50#post_5150290

(Content for each: https://picasaweb.google.com/RJEbuysell/SF2011Shortlist https://picasaweb.google.com/RJEbuysell/Dislike )

I think the examples o/o put up in this thread are terrible; however, I have several great examples by him in the thread above.

FWIW, I add these to the pool for general discussion, although I now think a couple are borderline - and maybe not on the right side of the border:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  12. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I am lukewarm on grenadines and I won't wear them with odd jackets.

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

14. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

WADR, if the jacket is solid, it doens't count for this thread.