On pattern coordination between jacket/shirt/tie.......................

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by edmorel, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I like the look of a casual tie with a formal suit (though I have no highly constructed suits), but I hate the reverse.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I think there is some misconception about unlined ties. Generally, nobody but the wearer will know whether they are unlined. There is no visual telltale.

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

There's no telltale, but they are significantly lighter and I think move differently. And untipped is easy enough to discern. I don't know if anyone actually notices or cares though. But I agree with you that the main difference is in the mind of the wearer.

4. mafoofan

If your tie is flapping around, it's because you're not wearing your jacket. In that case, it's a bit odd to be worrying about formality. And nobody is running around checking people's tie tips. Except me.

5. unbelragazzo

Do you have a reason? (not having a reason is ok)

Do neats qualify as "formal ties" for you? Or are you just talking about wedding ties? For instance, what about this combination of floral neat with linen blend suit? Sorry, ed, for derailing us away from patterns for the moment....

[​IMG]

6. Manton

I don't think I have any truly unlined ties. Maybe one. Not sure. But I do have several cappellis that are lined and tipped 6-folds and then several that are lightly lined up-tipped 3-folds. They do wear and behave differenlty. Not enough for most people to notice, but I notice.

7. Manton

That combo looks fine to me.

8. mafoofan

Exactly like my experience. It feels different, but that's it. Personally, I elect to have all my ties made as light as possible (different fabrics permitting varying degrees).

9. unbelragazzo

What do you consider the scale of a plaid where you've got both smaller and larger checks on the same pattern? I think I remember in one of the Flusser books he shows a picture of a plaid next to a small check and approves of the disparate scales, so I suppose he takes the larger check as the scale of the plaid. But maybe it varies plaid to plaid.

10. Manton

Keep in mind that ed's purpose of this thread is to show how to combine 3 patterns--coat, shirt, tie. The fact is, a checked jacket and shirt CAN work but 99.9% of the time it is better with a solid tie. Ed would probably agree but that's still outiside the purpose of this thread.

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

On that last one? You need a much larger scale check. The size of the pattern on the shirt and jacket is way too close, which is what makes eyes bleed. And a simple one, not gingham.

You're best off with a shirt like this:

[​IMG]

Maybe a butcher stripe or something.

I think you were thinking the large check on the jacket was the pattern to judge the scale with. It's really not, in that case. There's a lot of activity within that large check, at almost exactly the scale of the shirt's pattern. So step back and tone the shirt down, and go with a larger scale pattern.

Though if you're not set on mixing three patterns, I would recommend a plain shirt, and using the suit and the tie for the pattern. Stick to two patterns until you know what you're doing.

12. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

Perhaps implicit advice; don't do five:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. mafoofan

I think the key is still scale variance. If you want to wear two checks, just make sure one is bigger and one is smaller. I'd probably default to stripes for the third pattern, but neats can work too--so long as they are not too business-like, which is a somewhat fuzzy distinction I admit.

14. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

exactly, the fact that you and :foo: are here marks the threak as a success already IMO, now if only more people would post pattern fits, like UBR, rather than say, "that would look better with a solid shirt/tie".

15. Manton

that big check shirt is awful and would be even more awful with the plaid jacket. It is CLOSER in scale because the graph paper aspect (which is offensive in and of itself) would get pretty close to the scale of the overcheck.

:shudder: