1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

On pattern coordination between jacket/shirt/tie.......................

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by edmorel, Jul 16, 2012.

1. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

What is wrong with you people?

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

Maybe a bad pic... the shirt is blue with red windowpane

Understood... sorry. Probably better with solid stripes.

3. lychyrychy

lychyrychy Senior member

What do you mean, you people?

1 person likes this.
  4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think you know exactly what he means.

5. NORE

NORE Senior member

Boom.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

See if you can spot me in this video.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  6. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Senior member

[​IMG]

Another discreetly patterned shirt brought to play.

1 person likes this.
  7. NORE

NORE Senior member

Minus the repp tie plus spread contrast collar & he might be doin something. check it:

[​IMG]

Also, the suit has a purple over check which doesn't show well in photos but comes up lovely with the sun.Damn ham sammich!

Braces are coordinated also for those who care...

Boom.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Would do purple paisley or satin Pin dot tie to complete the Gatsby look.

9. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Perhaps. But, perhaps not if you knew what the colors were.

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Was he rocking the garish colors at that age? I'm far from an expert, but I was under the impression that his palette got wilder as he got older.

11. NORE

NORE Senior member

Interestingly enough I recently picked up this 7-fold ancient madder:

[​IMG]

Which I now more frequently wear with the ensemble above that Hendrix thinks is horrible. Hopefully he approves now lest I have to kill myself :confused:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  12. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Senior member

Do you? If so, could you share with the less enlightened members, such as me?
    I was under the same impression.

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Close Bris, I'd probably go with something brighter. That tone is more suitable to tweeds, IMO. I love the ancient madders though I'm sure they're universally hated on SF. I often wear light blue shirts with a contrast collar, paired with a bright navy pindot and charcoal chalk stripe, but I don't bother posting that look on here, where basically ifit's done in Naples it'll pass here, otherwise good luck.

If RLPL offers it I'll likely do a matching cashmere patterned shirt and tie paired with a tweed suit or sportcoat, but this forum will not see it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  14. ArdenReed

ArdenReed New Member

I am a big fan of pattern mixing, especially as of late. When i do, i try to follow a couple basic rules: a deeper toned tie v the color of the shirt, various subtle patterns, and somehow pull the colors together, usually through the secondary or tertiary colors in the outfit. for example, this photo. The light brown colors pull the outfit together. And as you can see, there is a slight edge of a pop color in the green pocket square. Effortless.[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. NORE

NORE Senior member

I feel you. This is why I stopped posting new pics. I will say, however, SF has been successful in changing the way some dudes dress. Not always for the better.

16. RJE

RJE Senior member

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  17. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

RJE and others -
    I think the problem in this thread and in this forum in general is not too many fits posted, it is lack of pointed and direct criticism, and overabundance of general, vague criticism. There are lots of "wow you guys have no idea what the fuck you're doing posts" and not enough "that looks terrible" posts. I appreciate that you put up a very nice post with a lot of examples of what you thought looked good and didn't. But now when you're saying everybody sucks (except you presumably), it's hard to know what or who you're talking about. When I posted a few pages back, I put together something I thought was kind of adventurous and was hoping I get some feedback on it, but I just got a couple of thumbs and some nice feedback from edmorel. Posts that give more specific strategies, such as FC's practical combinations thread, are extremely useful, although they do start from the premise that many SF users need a lot of help. But I suggest that we try to get away from posts whose sole point is to state how generally poorly dressed everyone in this forum is. I don't think it's see useful and it's getting boring.

18. NORE

NORE Senior member

I tried doing "that looks terrible" and was ostracized, even tho I was right.

But I will say that what looks terrible to one may look great to another. Some are too bound by "the rules" to allow themselves to appreciate some really good fits.

19. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would value a "that looks terrible", especially from an experienced poaster, even if unexplained. Of course a more expansive reaction is more valuable, but anything is better than "everyone here sucks and just needs to copy me more"

20. NORE

NORE Senior member

I stopped posting pics a while back due to the large amounts of back patting and not enough constructive criticism-especially when more senior members were pining for folks to change to CBDesque fits. Took the wind out of a lot of dudes sails. Not me tho, no way bro.