• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On pattern coordination between jacket/shirt/tie.......................

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Me too. I need to find something that looks solid from three feet or so but causes your eyes to bleed if you get any closer.
This could be very handy in crowded places where personal space is at a premium like Brazil or airport security..

This is hard to do with vision, but easy to do with smell.

malat

Reaction score

:embar:
I actually don't own a single button-down. Not a fan. As for the tie, it's barely a pattern, but matter of taste, I guess. I have a few knits, but don't wear them often, as I'm a big dude, and they always look too skinny to me. Lastly, the square is a Hober madder print, and I love it. So there.

No -- I actually agree with you. My reaction was in response to skinny ******'s reply. I never wear button down collars either, and I see no reason why you can't wear a dress shirt (non-button down collar) with a sport coat and tie. To each his own, but I would never wear a button down collar with a tie.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You guys just like to disagree with me, which is fine. I would have to amend that statement, that the shirt is simply too formal in some aspect to look appropriate with that jacket IMO. Come to think of it, I've worn spread collars with a sport coat, but very rarely anything with a very structured, tall collar.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is hard to do with vision, but easy to do with smell.

You have apparently never been through airport security, not even in the priority line.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
collars like that with odd jackets are common in europe. Really the southern Italians are the only Europeans I ever see wearing BDs with ties. You just don't see it in France or England.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just got back from Rome/Florence friday and don't actually recall anyone wearing a tie, who didn't work in one of the shops. Most wore white linen shirts with their top 3 buttons undone.

Most of the display rigs I recall having less rigidly structured collars.

Off-topic is was a breath of fresh air by comparison to the sandal wearing Americans I'm usually accustomed to seeing.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You guys just like to disagree with me, which is fine. I would have to amend that statement, that the shirt is simply too formal in some aspect to look appropriate with that jacket IMO. Come to think of it, I've worn spread collars with a sport coat, but very rarely anything with a very structured, tall collar.

I don't have any interest in disagreeing with you. But with the current levels of Voxian analysis on the forum -- and coming from a senior member such as yourself -- I think it's important to distinguish between "don't like" and "shouldn't." All sorts of new "rules" have been popping up and getting perpetuated by newer members.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just got back from Rome/Florence friday and don't actually recall anyone wearing a tie. Most wore white linen shirts with their top 3 buttons undone.

With Italian horns? :devil:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

I don't have any interest in disagreeing with you. But with the current levels of Voxian analysis on the forum -- and in an F. Corbera thread nonetheless -- I think it's important to distinguish between "don't like" and "shouldn't." All sorts of new "rules" have been popping up and getting perpetuated by newer members.

Right, which is my job, you dumb ******* n00bs, so butt out :mad:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I don't have any interest in disagreeing with you. But with the current levels of Voxian analysis on the forum -- and in an F. Corbera thread nonetheless -- I think it's important to distinguish between "don't like" and "shouldn't." All sorts of new "rules" have been popping up and getting perpetuated by newer members.

I did not start this thread, although it might seem so because of my regal bearing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads