• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On Line vs. In Line

Which term do you use or prefer?

• On Line

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • In Line

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • Queue

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Other (please add your comments below)

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most anyone in the northeastern United States has likely heard someone refer to 'standing on line.' In most of the rest of the United States one hears 'standing in line.' Then there are those who queue.

Any of you care to share your thoughts? I'd also like hearing from those from outside the United States ... as to the custom in your area.

I seem to recall that mathmatically speaking a line has no thickness ... therefore mathmatically one can only be on a line, not in it.

I admit, I used all three.

Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I hate lines, so I usually just come back later.

(also, this keeps me from trying to decide between the everyman "in line" and the posh "queue" when recording my actions for posterity)

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If no one else replies -- and I face the fact that this is NOT likely destined to be a popular thread -- it appears we have a four way tie.

Last edited:

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I stand "in line".
I tried to skate in-line, but that is not an activity suited for an old man like me.

And "queue" is just too pretentious for white trash like me. Well, and the Canadians around here think I am trying to emulate them, so I have double reason to avoid to term.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I tried to skate in-line, but that is not an activity suited for an old man like me.
I tried that too, my behind did not appreciate it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I stand "in line".
And "queue" is just too pretentious for white trash like me. Well, and the Canadians around here think I am trying to emulate them, so I have double reason to avoid to term.

Yeah, I have my own dubious history with in-line stakes. I dusted them off a month or so ago since our son and his friend wanted to go rollerskating and I thought, well, let's do this. So the kids skated, and the Mrs. and I skated, and both she and had a spill (separately), we both landed on our right elbows, and the pain has just recently subsided

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm an irishman so i usually queue. after moving to chicago, i grew to love the brevity of being in the line. now i am in NY and totally thrown by the whole on line business.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i say "on" or "in" line

usually depends on the word preceding it.

as in "waiting in line" or "standing on line"

but i never even thought about that before now. and im probably not 100% consistent about it either.

have never used queue outside of my printer.

this is so :bounce2:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i say "on" or "in" line
usually depends on the word preceding it.
as in "waiting in line" or "standing on line"
but i never even thought about that before now. and im probably not 100% consistent about it either.
have never used queue outside of my printer.
this is so :bounce2:

Well you see ... in the Mighty Foo(l) thread ... there was this comment about dungarees. In my research to find out more about the things ... the on line/in line debate came up.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well you see ... in the Mighty Foo(l) thread ... there was this comment about dungarees. In my research to find out more about the things ... the on line/in line debate came up.

haha, i saw the dungaree comment but not the on/in line one.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strangely, I read the title as digital purchasing (on-line) vs. physically standing in a queue, or in-line.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I queue, always have and always will.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads