• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On fads

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From LIFE's photo archive...

"Teenage boys sporting their latest shoe fad of wearing G.I. shoes (Army surplus they bought or inherited) which they call "My old lady's Army Shoes" & wear every Tuesday at school. Date taken: December 1948"

"Teenage boys wearing the latest fad, hats. Date taken: November 1947"

"Patrons inside a Manhattan bar called P.J.'s Saloon include men wearing shorts, a new fad. Date taken: July 1953" (bermuda shorts)

"Theater students at Wellesley College preparing a stage set. (note girls clad in denim, the latest fad). Date taken: October 1949"

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. These don't seem as cringe-worthy as you would imagine, thinking to modern associations of fads...

I wonder how unruly these fads were considered at that time?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
From LIFE's photo archive...

"Teenage boys sporting their latest shoe fad of wearing G.I. shoes (Army surplus they bought or inherited) which they call "My old lady's Army Shoes" & wear every Tuesday at school. Date taken: December 1948"

Those are some nice-looking army-issue shoes. They all seem to be wearing the same jeans, too-- Levis 501s, I suppose.

Odd, I was under the impression that a trend-based youth culture didn't exist until sometime in the '50s.

"Theater students at Wellesley College preparing a stage set. (note girls clad in denim, the latest fad). Date taken: October 1949"
Jeans-as-workwear doesn't quite translate for women. I guess they have to wait another 15 years for Lee to make skinny jeans.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want some of those boots

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine that fad of women wearing jeans will ever catch on......

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting pics, thanks for posting robin.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love the shorts with the jacket and tie.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Jeans-as-workwear doesn't quite translate for women. I guess they have to wait another 15 years for Lee to make skinny jeans.
Yeah, but the pointy cone shaped bras from that time period probably made up for it.
smile.gif
Originally Posted by fcuknu
i love the shorts with the jacket and tie.
Popular in the 1950's. I guess it was the summer look, but I'm glad that the socks were lost over the years.
bermuda_shorts_1.jpg
bermuda_shorts_2.jpg
bermuda_shorts_3.jpg
Completely bizarre and unrelated to clothes, but I also came across photo's of men squatting, or "hunkering". This one was new to me...
hunkering.jpg
hunkering_1.jpg
hunkering_2.jpg
It apparently was a college culture thing for some southern states in 1959 where they'd just squat while doing anything, though I kind of get the feeling that the kids were all in on some big prank on the media. (time article)

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They never made it out of the anal stage..

Odd Morsel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
hunkering.jpg

It apparently was a college culture thing for some southern states in 1959 where they'd just squat while doing anything, though I kind of get the feeling that the kids were all in on some big prank on the media. (time article)

It's no fad, my friend. It lives on in the form of the Asian Squat... and their form is quite good.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what the hell is that last guy doing on top of a piano?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
People have been looking dorky in high water cuffs for years!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads