• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

On denim chore jackets and the versatility thereof

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
Hey,

I am looking to buy a denim chore jacket for fall and have decided on the three following:

1. Drake's Indigo Rinse Denim

2. Drake's Bleach Wash Denim

Drakes2.JPG

3. Eton Limited Edition Denim jacket made in Sweden

Eton1.JPG

The obvious advantage of the Eton jacket is its price (300 Euro) vs Drake's (600 Euro).
Which one looks the best you think?
Do you think that a denim chore jacket is more casual than a, say, moleskin chore jacket/cotton canvas chore jacket?
Would you wear a denim jacket with tailored trousers?

Attachments

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a few thoughts :

- the eton seems very skinnied-up for a chore coat , i think it will not be as versatile as an easier pattern but it may well fit you great idk ...

- the drakes looks ok , seems overpriced but not really my concern ...

- the riveted pockets on all of these bother me a bit

- tellason coverall jacket is one of my faves , esp in raw with the lightest denim they offer ,

- i think with tailored trousers i'd prefer a lighter drapier fabric so i'd stick with denim over moleskin or duck , maybe think about gabardine or cotton sateen , as in a civvy field jacket

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
a few thoughts :

- the eton seems very skinnied-up for a chore coat , i think it will not be as versatile as an easier pattern but it may well fit you great idk ...

- the drakes looks ok , seems overpriced but not really my concern ...

- the riveted pockets on all of these bother me a bit

- tellason coverall jacket is one of my faves , esp in raw with the lightest denim they offer ,

- i think with tailored trousers i'd prefer a lighter drapier fabric so i'd stick with denim over moleskin or duck , maybe think about gabardine or cotton sateen , as in a civvy field jacket
Thanks! The Eton does look thin but it is marketed as an overshirt. I just looked up the Tellason, dayum that was nice and a lot cheaper than the Drake's!

I actually thought denim was too casual for tailored pants.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The Eton does look thin but it is marketed as an overshirt. I just looked up the Tellason, dayum that was nice and a lot cheaper than the Drake's!

I actually thought denim was too casual for tailored pants.
maybe denim is too casual ? but i also think is worth considering workwear-adjacent towards a tailoring fabric , for instance shirt-weight denim , chambray , herringbone twill , or gab etc etc ... whether or not that's too laboratory worker or machine shop engineer or whatever is a matter of taste . i do think duck in particular would be hardest to work with a tailored trouser .

i don't really like to stand on tailoring orthodoxy or assume styling or whatever these are just ideas .

Last edited:

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Get the one you like the most, not the one that is "most versatile."

I love my Drake's chore, but what I see about the Eton chore, what I like about it, is the collar. It's a "camp collar," whereas the drake's chores have soemthing more like a spread collar. Pick the style you like, but I think the more open collar style is more fun for layering -- whether you're going to wear a camp collar shirt as a runaway collar, or framing whatever else you're wearing under it. But you gotta decide that for yourself.

Don't spend $600 and don't spend $300 and don't spend $3 on something unless you can tell why you want it.

I'm starting to notice that you spend a lot of time asking the internet what you want. I do that too, but... it's not a great habit. So like... be aware of that.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally think the whole idea of a chore coat is that it should look worn and relaxed. I agree that the Eton coat is cut too trim. In general a jacket like this will look better unbuttoned.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
Get the one you like the most, not the one that is "most versatile."

I love my Drake's chore, but what I see about the Eton chore, what I like about it, is the collar. It's a "camp collar," whereas the drake's chores have soemthing more like a spread collar. Pick the style you like, but I think the more open collar style is more fun for layering -- whether you're going to wear a camp collar shirt as a runaway collar, or framing whatever else you're wearing under it. But you gotta decide that for yourself.

Don't spend $600 and don't spend $300 and don't spend $3 on something unless you can tell why you want it.

I'm starting to notice that you spend a lot of time asking the internet what you want. I do that too, but... it's not a great habit. So like... be aware of that.
I am definitely guilty of being a hesitative person 😅

Featured Sponsor

When shopping for clothes do you (choose up to 2)

• Always return to the same brands/stores/websites

• Like to visit brick&mortar shops to see things in person

• Shop mainly online and take advantage of free returns

• Like to try new brands/stores/websites

• Shop mainly during the sales, regardless of the brand/store/website

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiemyGray