1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

On being the best dressed man in the room - some observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by simpleman, Sep 29, 2018.

1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi

A look at "today in history," how traditional clothing periods were totally conformist and harmonious, about "propriety" and "respect," and not at all alarmist and full of wackos

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion...hind-an-amazon-womankind-fashion-archive-1927

Men risk being left behind an Amazon womankind – fashion archive, 1927

10 October 1927: Professor Hill warns that the scanty wear of modern woman is hardening her and men are handicapped in their old-fashioned mufflings of tweed

Professor Leonard Hill was presumably not merely playful when he warned mankind at the health conference at Durham to make haste in discarding its tweeds and serges if it wants to uphold its physical superiority over the other sex. The light and exiguous wear of the modern woman, he asserted, is hardening her. The old-fashioned mufflings in which man enswathes himself are a handicap by comparison. He hinted darkly of a future when an Amazon womankind, untrammelled by too many wrappings, would rule their heavily clothed menfolk, and he urged his fellows to let in some light and air to their starved frames before it is too late.

He is on safe ground in reminding us that no such revolution has occurred in men’s wear as in woman’s. We have, it is true, ceased to imprison our heads in “toppers” except on very special occasions, and a soft collar may nowadays appear at a boardroom table without disgracing the man of affairs who wears it. But in essentials we dress as did our grandfathers, holding firmly to our tweed and wool, casting no clouts till summer is demonstrably present and resuming them layer upon layer at the first hint of autumn.

Will another decade see mankind gay in durable, washable artificial silk clothing, sending a suit to the laundry each week as regularly as he now sends his shirts, and immune, through the courage with which he then faces cold, from the catarrhs and coughs with which his present reliance on warmth is apt to afflict him? And if coat and trousers go, will a complete break be made and the ancient and noble fashion of the toga once again make Romans of us all? The world would certainly be pleasanter as well as healthier for the change. But even hygiene must yield to convenience. Man goes armed in anything from six to ten pockets with the weapons he needs in the daily struggle with life. And a structure that maintains ten pockets capable of accommodating wallets, note-cases, pipes, matches, keys, tobacco pouches, change, an odd book or two, and a pencil and pen must be of stout stuff. If his tailors can devise a garment light as air that yet will house, each in its allotted place, the items of his armoury, man may consider the reform. But not till then.

2. Vuchko

Vuchko Well-Known Member

This is what I mean when I point out that sports coats are still within the bounds of plausible and normal everyday clothing. I may stand out wearing it and perhaps even appear overdressed, but ultimately, people won’t think that I lost my way to a wedding (or, worse yet, a costume party or a movie set).

In this sense, it’s really the last relic of traditional tailoring in what’s socially acceptable for everyday clothing. And if we lose that relic in the future, it will be a huge loss in terms of options available to men past their youthful prime.

3. dieworkwear

Again, I don't think that's going to happen within my lifetime, and I assume we're about the same age or I'm younger than you.

Tailored jackets have been around for a hundred years and they're protected by the fact that they remain traditional garments. Traditional dress in every society remains through formal events. People dress up to look nice. The next time this will change is when a new world order is set by a totally different society than the British one, but that's so long off from now it's crazy.

For all the alarmist attitudes about how sometimes people don't wear suits to weddings or funerals, the overwhelming majority of those events require a tailored jacket. So long as that continues, a tailored jacket remains "the nice thing you should wear." Which means even if nice restaurants don't require a coat and tie, no one will blink if you wear a tailored jacket without a tie (or, frankly, even with a tie).

I'll be dead or at least infirmed long before society decides that a sport coat can't be worn to a nice bar or restaurant.

4. Andy57

Andy57 Distinguished Member

You appear incredibly concerned with not being thought of as wearing a costume--while wearing a tailored jacket, for goodness' sake. Why are you even bothering to spend time on a forum about classic menswear when you appear afraid to actually wear it?

This is complete drivel.

5. Andy57

Conformity is not a good thing, in my opinion. Although I'm quite sure I'm as enslaved to some social norms as the next person, conformity is depressing.

If people think the early 21st century is noisy, dirty, and chaotic, they certainly would not have liked late 19th century London or New York.

6. ezev

ezev Active Member

I've lived in San Francisco my whole life, as I've started to dress better and a little more "refined" my preference on bars has changed completely. I do enjoy my sports bar in vans and a tshirt but elsewhere I tend to lean towards tailored clothing and I go places where I won't be shoulder to shoulder Polk st. style.

I rather prefer my sportcoat in a sea of Patagonia.

7. Riva

Riva Distinguished Member

The president of Indonesia when he went to the Metallica concert. By doing so and naturally as he was a metal head he scored big points with the millenials.

8. dieworkwear

Here's Alex Jones wearing a sport coat at what looks to be Olive Garden

DpKtD-NVAAA8gOU.jpg

9. Riva

I can relate to your concerns however please do understand that some people here obviously have no clue as this is supposed to be common sense taught by their moms. Simply put there are those who try to dress up to impress others in the hope of gaining specific benefits. There are very real life changing risks associated with this such as the chance getting a major funding for your company or scoring that model wife. Because as much as others tried to convince you, you already know this: People do judge you on your first appearance. To be interesting is more important than being interested. Although the percentage of its importance vs handsome face and chiseled body is debatable and should be factored in when someone is giving you his 2 cents. When this is work related it sure as hell matters depending on region and industry. I don't need to elaborate on how to adapt your style in order to score a black LA lawyer vs a Japanese idol.

Now there are also those who dress up for themselves because they feel good doing it and they don't give a shit about onlookers. If this is the absolute truth and not some idealized hypocrisy then ignore them at all means. Don't hang around guys who play with dolls.

10. dieworkwear

CqugdM_XYAQpRVr.jpg

11. Riva

12. dieworkwear

Tell me how you would dress to "score a black LA lawyer."

13. simpleman

simpleman Member

I have never once in my life felt out of place ordering a beer at a nice bar wearing a sport coat or suit. That was actually the whole point of my original post, I was the only person at the rehearsal dinner wearing a jacket and tie and nice trousers. All the other men were dressed quite casually. And it was fine, and on top of that, it was a more positive experience overall.

If I'm going to a dive bar I'm going to dress a differently than I would going to a gastropub. I'm not getting dressed up to mow my lawn either. There is some common sense that needs to be applied. For example, if every single person in the bar is wearing cargo shorts, crocs, and a hometown NFL jersey, yes you are going to stand out if you are wearing anything but that. Only you can decide if you want to go to that bar or not, I am sure there are many other places you could go. Though if you show-up in a sportcoat or suit in team colors and logo all over (and yes I just found some, no I don't have one...yet)...you will be a legend, but at point you've reached the levels of detachment necessary to just be you.

14. dieworkwear

+1

Feel like some of the reasonable and sensible things that come with the suit are blown out of proportion in this thread.

Suits are formal, traditional garments, but they don't represent morality. They'll garner some positive looks from women, but that doesn't mean you're going to get Japanese models (or that you have to dress differently to get a "black LA lawyer" -- wtf). You may get some ribbing from friends, but you won't be socially shunned.

It's just a nice garment that will make you look better and maybe give you some self-confidence. They're enjoyable to wear. The minute you open your mouth, everyone is going to see past the suit anyway. This is literally just dressing.

15. Andy57