• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is this?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 being horribly awful, 10 being perfectly acceptable.

I'm thinking somewhere in the 4-6 range. I ask because my favorite suit is a charcoal Zegna, and when I purchased it (around August) I did not order a second pair of trousers without belt loops, but occassionally I like to wear braces.

A second question. The suit to which I am referring is Zegna's most standard charcoal fabric that they sell year round, and the suit has never been dry cleaned, because it hasn't been dirty. What are the odds that if I ordered a second pair of pants in that fabric that it would match the original suit? Thanks.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
1) 4 to 6 sounds about right. I wouldn't do it, but then there are a lot of harmless things that I wouldn't do.

2) The chances are pretty good that they still have some of that cloth. If they do, no problem. But get an assurance. You don't want someone to shine you on, calculating that charcoal is charcoal so it doesn't matter if the original cloth run is still around. If the shade is just a little off, it can look weird, especially in bright sunlight.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton,

Thanks for your response. How do I make sure that the exact same fabric is still around? Will there be some sort of identification number on the tag in the jacket? Also, suppose that I do order the second pair of trousers, when the time comes that any of the pieces needs to be dry-cleaned, should I make sure to clean both trousers?

Thanks again.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've occasionally been guilty of wearing braces with trousers that have belt loops a few times. You only cross the boundary into the sartorial sin zone if you wear braces and belt together - now THAT is insecurity.

If the suit has been cleaned several times then matching fabric would be tough.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You only cross the boundary into the sartorial sin zone if you wear braces and belt together - now THAT is insecurity.
That's off the scale; a negative five.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
How do I make sure that the exact same fabric is still around?
Ask.  Zegna should know from the inside tag, or at least from their own catalogue, what it was made from.

Also, suppose that I do order the second pair of trousers, when the time comes that any of the pieces needs to be dry-cleaned, should I make sure to clean both trousers?
I don't think so.  I have never had that problem with dry cleaning.  But then I dry clean hardly ever.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Will there be some sort of identification number on the tag in the jacket?
Yes, on the inside breast pocket. You'll see lots and lots of numbers, one of which is the fabric number. Someone from Zegna should be able to tell exactly which fabric the jacket was made from and whether Zegna still makes the fabric. There can be variations from lot to lot of fabric that's supposed to be identical, but this is probably less of a risk with Zegna than it would be with some other companies: Zegna's quality control is rigid, its process is state-of-the-art, and it's not artisanal, all of which will lead to a more uniform product.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I'm doing it today, actually. I think it's a pretty minor offense, understanding that not having loops is ideal. As long as you don't have the belt on, too, I think you're fine.

mano

Reaction score
You only cross the boundary into the sartorial sin zone if you wear braces and belt together - now THAT is insecurity.
What is insecurity for one person may be acting with due caution to another.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton - I suppose if you live in a state with the three strikes rule and you have two AND they pass that hip-hop/plumber law....

Otherwise, I must stand by my assertion that suspenders and belt would be a severe rulebook violation - of the stripes/plaids level of culpability

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Manton - I suppose if you live in a state with the three strikes rule and you have two AND they pass that hip-hop/plumber law....

Otherwise, I must stand by my assertion that suspenders and belt would be a severe rulebook violation - of the stripes/plaids level of culpability
I agree. The original scale was 1 to 10, 1 being horrible, 10 being correct. I judged belts and suspenders a -5.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acknowledging the GQ-hating rule around here, I did find it funny when Glenn O'Brien (sp?) referred to a person that wears a belt and braces (or suspenders, whatever you prefer) as the ultimate pessimist.

And I've noticed that people that wear braces with a belt always wear the ones with little metallic clips, rather than loops for buttons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads