OMG THE TECH BUBBLE SKY MAY BURST - a discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Biggskip, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

We've had this conversation before. We're all aware of Fumma's thoughts on the vacuous app-driven culture, but we're a long way from Tech Bubble 2.0.

Companies are much better capitalized than before and more importantly they have a much stronger management culture. Will Twitter ever live up to its expectations implied by its market cap, probably not, but I don't think it's going the way of Pets.com either.

So while I can envision a scenario where the stock price of tech firms comes down and the resulting wealth effect creates a certain "recession" mindset in the region for a while, I don't see that setting off some sort of chain reaction where people are buying homes a block at a time or Senior Programming Leads using their underwater options as a replacement good for toilet paper.

2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

The tech industry is going absolutely nowhere. If anything is continuously growing. Trust me, as someone who has a pretty good view of what's happening at the center - no one is going anywhere.

3. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

@Both - I agree tech is growing and is funded much better than the bubble that burst in the late 90s. However, i am concerned about how well things are going. Eventually something is gotta give, i just hope it won't be as bad as the the late 90s or the 07/08 financial crisis.

4. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

some other views from the center of industries leading up to 1929 and 2006 :teach:

"There will be no interruption of our permanent prosperity."
    - Myron E. Forbes, President, Pierce Arrow Motor Car Co., January 12, 1928

"It's impossible for prices to go down this year."
    - Gary Watts, Spokesman Orange Country Association of Realtors

“I don't worry about new home sales,”
    - James Glassman, JP Morgan Chase Economist

"There is no national housing market, so there can't be a national house-price bubble."
    - Michael Youngblood, Managing Director, Friedman Billings Ramsey & Co

"We're now in the 'middle innings' of the current economic expansion, and the next economic recession is not yet in sight.”
    - David Seiders, Chief Economist, National Association of Home Builders, Jan 2006

"For the immediate future, at least, the outlook (stocks) is bright."
    - Irving Fisher, Ph.D. in Economics, in early 1930

"There is no bubble to burst,"
    - Jim Folkman, VP of the Home Builders Association of Central New Mexico

"... a serious depression seems improbable"
    - Harvard Economic Society, November 10, 1929

"There was never a "bubble", so there is nothing to "burst".
    - Jeromith Sutton, 2006, NAR Investment Advisor

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  5. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

As someone working in IT, I really hope I'm wrong but I definitely think we're in a bubble. And as Shah pointed out above, most people (including "experts" or even especially "experts") think there's no bubble until it bursts right in front of them.

6. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I never said the industry was immune from a downturn, I just think that a. it's not in a bubble state right now and b. when the downturn comes it won't be nearly as catastrophic.

When receptionists at nail salons are sitting on the boards of four to five tech firms at once, then I'll be concerned.

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

It depends on how the downturn plays out and what starts it, if the China bubble blows up, it's going to get real ugly for everyone.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

While I am not sure how big the bubble is, I am sure that there is one, and that we are in one now.

Just looking at all of the tech fashion startups for men, and even accounting for the overall growth in menswear, I see a few issues:
    1) Some of the ideas are really, really, dumb, and ignore things like "human nature" and "physics".
    2) The pace at which there are new companies is outpacing the incremental increase in the demand for menswear
    3) With more and more companies competing in the same sector, the bets investors are making are increasingly long, so it will become increasingly difficult to win.

As for "experts", I'm typically not that impressed, mostly because a lot of them don't take do enough groundwork, and/or rely on reports and standard metrics about a company rather than really understanding the meat. For example, imo, if you are not interested in clothing, you are much more likely to not see the glaring issues with a company that sells clothing.

9. LA Guy

This. This is the real danger.

10. byAsum

byAsum Member

"1) Some of the ideas are really, really, dumb" -- agreed

11. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

12. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

"1) Some of the ideas are really, really, dumb, and ignore things like "human nature" and "physics"." - this applies to many start ups outside of fashion as well. i have recruiters emailing me and some of the companies are wtf.

13. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

14. larryr

larryr Senior member

Not sure if there will be a large burst, but the evaluations of some companies are ridiculous, what will happen is they should get more realistic. Technology is wagging the dog, each new idea or feature is a life changer must have.

15. LA Guy

Quote:I think that stories like the Powa breakdown shows that people are simply not doing their due diligence in their eagerness to invest in a possible unicorn (http://www.businessinsider.com/powa...p-deloitte-as-administrators-2016-2?r=UK&IR=T) While that is an extreme case, there are many other, small startups that have been funded that should have raised immediate red flags. Psychologically, I think that no matter what the talking heads say, that we are in a bubble when a lot of people all have an idea that unlimited growth is possible.