OMG! Mafoofan Sighting in NYC!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Nov 28, 2008.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

You know what I'd like to find in NYC? Good dumplings.

People have pointed me in the direction of what they call 'good dumplings', but I always walk away more convinced than ever that New Yorkers just don't know what a good dumpling should be like. All the dumplings I've had here have been big, fat, and doughy. You have to hunt for the filling. Any self-respecting Chinaman will tell you that a good dumpling should be as thin as possible on the outside and full and meaty inside. Frankly, not one dumpling place I've been to in NYC can match the frozen dumplings at Chinese grocery markets that you fry or boil at home.

You know who has good dumplings? A&J in Rockville, Maryland. I am convinced that Rockville has better Chinese food than most major cities in the U.S., with the exception of S.F.

So, anyone know where I can find a good dumpling?

2. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Any self-respecting Chinaman will tell you that a good dumpling should be as thin as possible on the outside and full and meaty inside.
    I dunno Magoo, the ladies like a nice thick dumpling, none of that pencil-width shit.

3. mafoofan

I dunno Magoo, the ladies like a nice thick dumpling, none of that pencil-width shit.

I don't know who's been trying to spare your feelings, Connie, but the truth is most ladies won't be satisfied with a dumpling at all.

4. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

You know what I'd like to find in NYC? Good dumplings. People have pointed me in the direction of what they call 'good dumplings', but I always walk away more convinced than ever that New Yorkers just don't know what a good dumpling should be like. All the dumplings I've had here have been big, fat, and doughy. You have to hunt for the filling. Any self-respecting Chinaman will tell you that a good dumpling should be as thin as possible on the outside and full and meaty inside. Frankly, not one dumpling place I've been to in NYC can match the frozen dumplings at Chinese grocery markets that you fry or boil at home. You know who has good dumplings? A&J in Rockville, Maryland. I am convinced that Rockville has better Chinese food than most major cities in the U.S., with the exception of S.F. So, anyone know where I can find a good dumpling?
    http://www.menupages.com/restaurantd...taurantid=4157 That's near Paris Custom shirts as well.

5. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

You know who has good dumplings? A&J in Rockville, Maryland. I am convinced that Rockville has better Chinese food than most major cities in the U.S., with the exception of S.F.
    Any recommendations? I go to Mama Wok and Bob's Noodle 66 quite a bit.

6. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

People have pointed me in the direction of what they call 'good dumplings', but I always walk away more convinced than ever that New Yorkers just don't know what a good dumpling should be like. All the dumplings I've had here have been big, fat, and doughy. You have to hunt for the filling. Any self-respecting Chinaman will tell you that a good dumpling should be as thin as possible on the outside and full and meaty inside. Frankly, not one dumpling place I've been to in NYC can match the frozen dumplings at Chinese grocery markets that you fry or boil at home.

Have you tried the soup dumplings at New Green Bo in Chinatown?

7. cchen

cchen Senior member

Have you tried the soup dumplings at New Green Bo in Chinatown?
    yeah, they're eh. they're passable, but nothing special

8. cchen

cchen Senior member

Yes! (I'm from MD)

9. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

Emperess Pavilion in Downtown Los Angeles, at the heart of Chinatown has excellent Dumplings

10. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Honolulu. The slightly Hawaiian take on Chinese food is fabulous.

Great dim sum is to be found there, too.

11. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

I've never been to A&J, but I'll have to check it out now. What do you think about Bob's Noodle 66? I love it. (Sorry can't help you out with NYC)

12. mockingboy

mockingboy Senior member

Joe's Shanghai in Chiatown. Best dumplings in the city. Or Phoenix Garden on like 41st and 2nd street.

13. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

14. cassanova

cassanova Member

saw mafoofan in del posto last night. pretty surreal experience. look forward to more sightings. Can you confirm you were there?

15. mafoofan

saw mafoofan in del posto last night. pretty surreal experience. look forward to more sightings. Can you confirm you were there?

Nope, I wasn't there. What made you think it was me?