1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Omega vs. Rolex

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by syracuse1976, May 24, 2007.

1. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Don't know the actual debate but a year or so the watch experts - and I mean those people that are really in the know about movements - said Omega is now far behind Rolex. Don't like the Rolex design though.

I don't know about that. I've seen opposing views written by other experts. Like I said, even with experts, it ultimately comes down to individual opinion.

2. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Omega = Speedmaster Professional

Rolex = Submariner No-Date

Besides that, I wouldn't consider anything else in either of those brands...

3. TGPlastic

TGPlastic Senior member

Rolex makes its own movements. Omega typically does not. That's probably the biggest difference affecting price. Also Omega tends not to be using precious metals the same way Rolex does. Seems like most Omegas these days are in stainless steel. Consider too that Rolex seems to have a much tighter grip on its retail network and authorized repair shops. Definitely more exclusive. Omega is more available in malls across the USA. Without looking, I'll guess that the Rolex Sub retails new for more than double what the Omega Seamaster does. Worth it? I dunno. Both watches have their virtues. But compare the bracelets on the respective watches. The Omega bracelet wins. Hands down. It is simply better designed and better made. The clasp on that Rolex bracelet is stamped metal crap.

4. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Rolex makes its own movements. Omega typically does not. That's probably the biggest difference affecting price. Also Omega tends not to be using precious metals the same way Rolex does. Seems like most Omegas these days are in stainless steel. Consider too that Rolex seems to have a much tighter grip on its retail network and authorized repair shops. Definitely more exclusive. Omega is more available in malls across the USA. Without looking, I'll guess that the Rolex Sub retails new for more than double what the Omega Seamaster does. Worth it? I dunno. Both watches have their virtues. But compare the bracelets on the respective watches. The Omega bracelet wins. Hands down. It is simply better designed and better made. The clasp on that Rolex bracelet is stamped metal crap.

Well said. I agree, the Omega Seamaster bracelet (for example) is so comfortable and looks really nice. And the clasp is nigh on impossible to get off without pushing both buttons. Superb!

5. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

I personally favor Omega's subdued look to most Rolexes I see. It's true that Omega has its cheesy ones, but the Seamaster is a work of art as far as I'm concerned. It's just so pretty!

6. slider07

slider07 Well-Known Member

I think Omega is coming out, or has already, with their own movement and I hear that it is excellent.

In terms of Rolex, I respectfully disagree with the Rolex Sub no date being the only option to consider. The regular Sub Date is the classic Rolex sports watch. The Sea Dweller, which does not have the cyclops but does have the date, is heavier and has a depth rating of 4000 feet (which I will never see a 1/10th of unless someone ties an anchor around my leg). Another new watch with a classic look is the GMT IIc - it has a ceramic bezel with larger numbers. Very nice.

7. chucklehead

chucklehead Member

both brands are:

easy
    safe
    boring

they are brands for people who know nothing of watchery

[​IMG]

8. rioni

rioni Senior member

haha.... that's a good one

I think Omega is coming out, or has already, with their own movement and I hear that it is excellent.

In terms of Rolex, I respectfully disagree with the Rolex Sub no date being the only option to consider. The regular Sub Date is the classic Rolex sports watch. The Sea Dweller, which does not have the cyclops but does have the date, is heavier and has a depth rating of 4000 feet (which I will never see a 1/10th of unless someone ties an anchor around my leg). Another new watch with a classic look is the GMT IIc - it has a ceramic bezel with larger numbers. Very nice.

9. slider07

both brands are:

easy
    safe
    boring

they are brands for people who know nothing of watchery

[​IMG]

Trying to stir the pot a little? If you honestly mean the above then I would say that you really have no idea what you are talking about. Certainly there are other more expensive brands - Patek, AP, JLC, Breguet, etc., that are incredible pieces of machinery but Rolex and Omega are worthy of respect in the watch world.

10. chucklehead

chucklehead Member

Trying to stir the pot a little? If you honestly mean the above then I would say that you really have no idea what you are talking about. Certainly there are other more expensive brands - Patek, AP, JLC, Breguet, etc., that are incredible pieces of machinery but Rolex and Omega are worthy of respect in the watch world.

both brands are pedestrian best

11. slider07

You certainly are entitled to your opinion. These 2 brands are popular and you do see a lot of them out there. It still does not detract from the quality of the watches or my desire to wear them, IMO.

I think "pedestrian" is a little strong though when describing these brands.

12. chucklehead

chucklehead Member

You certainly are entitled to your opinion. These 2 brands are popular and you do see a lot of them out there. It still does not detract from the quality of the watches or my desire to wear them, IMO. I think "pedestrian" is a little strong though when describing these brands.
    you know what. your right maybe it was a tad strong. It seems everyone has a Pespi Rollo, is it to much to ask someone show a bit of flare & buy an AP, Ikepod, or Sinn, Piaget, Bell & Ross or maybe a flyback & may we dispense with the COSC certificates? they have no value. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I personally favor Omega's subdued look to most Rolexes I see. It's true that Omega has its cheesy ones, but the Seamaster is a work of art as far as I'm concerned. It's just so pretty!

Agreed. Well said.

14. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I'm always amazed at the striking difference between what is 'pedestrian' on an internet message board, and what it is in real life, even in places like Hamilton Jewelers (where rolex is a respectable choice).

15. slider07

you know what. your right maybe it was a tad strong. It seems everyone has a Pespi Rollo, is it to much to ask someone show a bit of flare & buy an AP, Ikepod, or Sinn, Piaget, Bell & Ross or maybe a flyback & may we dispense with the COSC certificates? they have no value.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good points. I like many of the Bell & Ross watches. AP is just incredible and Sinn is a terrific value given the construction and the materials.

My current favorite is the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. An amazing watch. Either that or the Breguet Marine Chrono pictured below:
    [​IMG]

16. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

I'm always amazed at the striking difference between what is 'pedestrian' on an internet message board, and what it is in real life, even in places like Hamilton Jewelers (where rolex is a respectable choice).

But... but... but... SF is practically built on internet snobbery!

17. gusvs

gusvs Senior member

I like the Sea-Dweller myself.

[​IMG]

18. BP348

BP348 Senior member

Omega, as part of the Swatch group (which makes all of the ETA movements) and Rolex, as the world's best known watch maker, both produce an extremely large volume of highly-accurate automatice watch movements. With the new co-axial movement, Omega may be very slightly ahead of the curve, but the reality is that a top of the line ETA/Omega movement and a Rolex movement are comparable in almost every way, and are both relatively ubiquitous. Debating the difference between the two is like debating the relative merits of a Honda six-cylinder engine and a Toyota six-cylinder engine. This is a very mature technology, and both movements are well refined and will run worry free for many years.

All that is left, then, is the case and the crystal. Both are made from relatively similar stainless steel and Sapphire crystal, respectively, so it really just comes down to what design you like the best. The same could be said for all of the other major brands that run on ETA movements (IWC, Breitling, etc.). There is also the price factor, I guess, with the Rolex band commanding a higher price becuase its name is better know to the general public.

Nothing really changes until you get up to the smaller volume manufacturers that make their own movements (Patek, etc.), but because these manufactures make less movements, their movements tend to be less refined and less reliable then the Omegas and the Rolexes--like a Ferrari engine vs a Honda.

I own a Rolex and an Omega, but when they finally crap out I doubt I'll repace them--I'll go back to quartz and spend my money on better suits.

Very well said!!

Only thing is if you take care of them then they shouldn't crap out on you or your kids.

After doing a bunch of research I decided on the Omega. I really like my SMP 2254.50

19. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

i do think the modern omegas have a better, more subdued design- eg railmaster. newer rolexes, apart from subs and sea dweller, have an ostentatious flashiness that is really offfputting.
    this is my daily watch- 60s explorer. i just don't think it can be beaten, i'd recommend it to anyone
    [​IMG]

20. smartcashmere

smartcashmere Member

would the co-axial escapement sway the vote towards omega or is it not that great an innovation? i was never interested in both brands but not having to service watches is pretty cool IMO. is it marketing hype and not all it claims to be?

the railmaster in particular without a date seems like a cool everyday watch you don't have to set and service and it is also water resistant enough for non divers.

http://www.timezone.com/library/news...23465243750000

bamford and sons also makes a cool pvd rolexes

http://www.bamfordwatchdepartment.com/index.cfm