1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Omega vs. Rolex

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by syracuse1976, May 24, 2007.

1. syracuse1976

syracuse1976 Senior member

Hello,

I'm convinced Rolexes are overpriced and overrated. I own two Omegas, which I feel are unbeatable at the $2-5k price point. If money were no object, I would not buy Rolex, but Patek Phillipe.

My opinion: Rolexes are about 20% more than they should be and are ubiquitous.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

My guess is that you would buy a Patek Philippe watch for the same reasons people buy Rolex. I hope you can see the irony

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm no fan of Rolex, but the market does not consider them overpriced. They do very, very well in both the primary and secondary markets.

4. Otter91

Otter91 Senior member

Hello,

I'm convinced Rolexes are overpriced and overrated. I own two Omegas, which I feel are unbeatable at the $2-5k price point. If money were no object, I would not buy Rolex, but Patek Phillipe.

My opinion: Rolexes are about 20% more than they should be and are ubiquitous.

in my experience (I work in the jewelry industry) Rolex is the only watch that I have repeatedly seen people buy, wear for a few years, and sell for more than they bought it for. Often times to make this work, you will need to be buying preowned, however, there are not many bobbles out there with any kind of return on investment, let alone the possiblility of making money on it.

5. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

This thread will not end well.

6. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

The three brands are overpriced, they are luxury items, so people pay for the exclusivity of it.

That said I have to add to the equation the fact that those three watches are made in Geneva, Switzerland using highly specialized people in micro-mecanichs and a lot of hand work and painstakingly finishing details... that on a City were labor is very expensive... So the watches are not cheap to bulid.

But anyway the biggest component in the cost is the prestige of the brand anyway

7. syracuse1976

Thanks for your feedback. All are good points. My favorite is the Aqua Terra, and it's served me well.

8. gdl203

That said I have to add to the equation the fact that those three watches are made in Geneva, Switzerland using highly specialized people in micro-mecanichs and a lot of hand work and painstakingly finishing details... that on a City were labor is very expensive... So the watches are not cheap to bulid.

Omega watches are not made in Geneva but in Bienne (aka Biel).

9. dave

dave Senior member

if you check the market, Rolex is anything BUT overpriced. they give you a high quality, albeit rough and relatively unfinished, manufacture movement in every watch they make. and the oyster case design is a proven winner as well.

in fact, i would say that rolex presents an overall value in the market today.

try buying another sport watch at retail and then sell it for the same $$$ 6 months later when you realize it's boring.

10. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

try buying another sport watch at retail and then sell it for the same $$$ 6 months later when you realize it's boring.

[​IMG]

11. Don Goldstein

Don Goldstein Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm no fan of Rolex, but the market does not consider them overpriced. They do very, very well in both the primary and secondary markets.

This is exactly how I feel.

12. kshah

kshah Senior member

I was thinking of getting a JLC Reverso Duo, but I am unsure of the resale value against the standard, the two tone Submariner. From what I've gathered, they hold up well physically, and are relatively easy to liquidate.

13. syracuse1976

I'm not sure. They're beautiful though. I want a Vacheron Patrimony Chronometre.

14. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

15. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I was thinking of getting a JLC Reverso Duo, but I am unsure of the resale value against the standard, the two tone Submariner. From what I've gathered, they hold up well physically, and are relatively easy to liquidate.
    The Reverso Duo is a nice watch, but does not have particularly good resale value. Retail for the SS version on strap is over $5K, sells for low $3K on the secondary market.

16. gdl203

The Reverso Duo is a nice watch, but does not have particularly good resale value. Retail for the SS version on strap is over $5K, sells for low $3K on the secondary market.

I thought retail was around $6.8-6.9k for the ss duo. In any case, comparing retail to secondary is not as relevant for JLC as it is for Rolex since there is no reason to buy a JLC at retail. 25-30% discounts on JLC are common place

17. dave

dave Senior member

JLC is far and away my favorite mid-range brand. that being said, buy it second hand unless you intend it to be a keeper. they dont do extremely well in the resale market.

I have to say though, i bought a reverso grande reserve a while ago thinking it would be fun to own until the novelty wore off. now i realize i will own it forever. it's just that nice.

as for a 2 tone sub, they are less loved than say, an all steel version but they hold their value like any other rolex (aside form the explorers) would.

have a look at the new GMT as well. the ceramic bezel is a winner in person. it really sets it apart from a sub as well.

18. DuncanM

DuncanM Well-Known Member

My guess is that you would buy a Patek Philippe watch for the same reasons people buy Rolex. I hope you can see the irony

Now that is funny.

I am feeling a little bit of a troll here.

19. gdl203

I am feeling a little bit of a troll here.
    How does it feel?

20. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

I get tired of these brand debates so I will only say I have been very happy with my DateJust Rolex and my friends have been very happy with recent Rolex purchases. The after-market sale experience is very, very good here in Atlanta.

If I were to buy one today I would buy a sports model like a SeaDweller or look at the Omega Coaxial designs. The Omegas don't hold value as well as Rolex but can be had at a discount upfront. Both brands are superb.