• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Olympics - anyone watching it

marc37

Reaction score
ls anyone else watching the olympics [in their spare time] or is it just me. l love watching the olympics and doing style-forum and Ask Andy [at the same time]. ls anyone else like me??? Go Australian swimmers. Â
biggrin.gif

Tater_Salad

Reaction score
Been watching for the past few hours. Can't wait for the women's beach volleyball
biggrin.gif

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ha. that's awesome.  for the opening ceremonies, i setup my laptop in front of the TV and was "window shopping" during the parade of nations.

the Olympics rule.

-Jeff

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watched the PGA Championship today. Does anyone ever get excited when Vijay Singh wins?

The olympic are ok, I've been watching them anyway. It seems like a new world record is set in every event.

Doesn't seem like anyone is Greece is watching them either; the stadiums are empty.

Mike

Reaction score
Doesn't seem like anyone is Greece is watching them either; the stadiums are empty.

Today was Assumption Day, a holy day in the Greek Orthodox Church.  Most people spent the day in church or with their families.

I, for one, love the Olympics.  It's a chance to watch sports that are not usually shown in the United States.  I'm a big fan of volleyball and likie to play pick up games with my buddies, so to watch professionals play it is great.  I'm a fan of gymnastics also.  There is something about the human form and how gracefully people can move.  Plus, there is no way I'd ever be able to perform even the simpliest gymnastics move (I can't walk across a balance beam, let alone do flips and handsprings from it. ) so I'm in awe of how these people can do what they do.  It can get a little repetitive, however, and the announcers can get very annoying.

In the endm though, it's refreshing to see people play a sport because of their love for it and the pride of their country.  Hearing about million dollar contracts and loads of selfishness everyday on ESPN and other sports networks blinds you to many people who train and work hard everyday for no money, but the ability to walk into a stadium, wave their country's flag, and the chance to win only a medal.

marc37

Reaction score
My favourite events are: weightlifting, gymnastics, diving and swimming.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Not me, somebody please wake me ... yaawwwwnnnn.

Andrew

Reaction score
And how about the Iraq soccer team, beating Portugal must've been so sweet.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes this past sunday was the assumption of the virgin mary and one of the most important orthodox religious days, however, the stadiums are dead empty regardless

some events have sold out that interest greek people (swimming, weightlifting) but you have to remember that greece has a small population, the average greek person cannot afford tickets to a mulitple of events so if they go to something, they'll likely buy one event, a final and not a preliminary, and it will be something that they like

having said that, no sartorial comments on the athletes parade?

canada, usa, and the uk had horrible roots designed clothing; it's nothing more that track suits with country names in my opinion; nice to see that for the most part, the europeans (germans, french, italians etc, wore suits or jackets with dress type pants)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say that I liked the track suits designed by Roots. I hated, for the most part, the pseudo-collegiate look sported by most of the European teams. One notable exception was the military inspired jackets worn by the Italians (and I think designed by Armani - but it could be another of the big names). I personally would have paired them with a complementary colored (rather than contrasting) pair of pants, but that is me playing stylist.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think roots has done better in the past few games, these were not all that exceptional

they could have at least used the greek worded ones, they produced a canada shirt spelled in greek, which would have at least had some added interest

i sort of like the germans in their neutral beige, i thought it was the army marching in at first glance

marc37

Reaction score
What are the Chinese on? Just like the 2000 Olympics.

kidkim2

Reaction score
Watched parts of both women's soccer semis today. Â If the U.S. and Brazil play up to form, the Thursday final should be a doozy. Â I believe it's schedlued for about 2 p.m. New York time. Â (Oh, oh. Sorry. Some of you have to work?)
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads