• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oliver Peoples, Tom Ford or Persol?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have Oliver Peoples and Anglo American.

bantone

Reaction score
I would also suggest Garett Leight - The creator is the son of the creator of Oliver People's.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Oliver Peoples and Tom Ford sunglasses?

would this be like when females have Chanel glasses? What is their lense quality like? Is it cheap like Chanel, like a strictly designer accessory, or is it decent?

why would one go with a designerbrand for sunglasses over one of the more staple brands that actually makes high quality glasses like Maui Jim or Ray Ban or Vuarnet or Revo?

sunglasses for life? Do you not wear them frequently? They are sunglasses, they are going to be hastily taken off and placed on your car console or your table at a restaurant or desk at the office. They are going to get scraped up and worn. Tough to keep a pair of sunglasses pristine.they just take wear and tear.
Sunglasses aren’t like daily wear prescription glasses that stay on your face all day. Sunglasses are on and off, on and off. They take a lot more abuse.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, all Oliver Peoples does is eyewear.

I actually have a pair of OP prescription glasses. The frames are absolutely solid.

I can’t speak for TF.

Reactions: RSS

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oliver Peoples and Tom Ford sunglasses?

would this be like when females have Chanel glasses? What is their lense quality like? Is it cheap like Chanel, like a strictly designer accessory, or is it decent?

why would one go with a designerbrand for sunglasses over one of the more staple brands that actually makes high quality glasses like Maui Jim or Ray Ban or Vuarnet or Revo?

sunglasses for life? Do you not wear them frequently? They are sunglasses, they are going to be hastily taken off and placed on your car console or your table at a restaurant or desk at the office. They are going to get scraped up and worn. Tough to keep a pair of sunglasses pristine.they just take wear and tear.
Sunglasses aren’t like daily wear prescription glasses that stay on your face all day. Sunglasses are on and off, on and off. They take a lot more abuse.

Style. And ray bans aren’t regarded as great quality. That’s like a bespoke suit with a bunch of handwork that doesn’t fit. I’d take a machine made suit that fits over a bespoke suit made for someone else’s body.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Style. And ray bans aren’t regarded as great quality. That’s like a bespoke suit with a bunch of handwork that doesn’t fit. I’d take a machine made suit that fits over a bespoke suit made for someone else’s body.

what makes ray bans low quality? Don’t Maui Jim and ray ban generally have the best polarized lenses? I have ray bans, Maui Jim, revo, and vuarnet in the rotation now (and a pair of oakleys as beaters in the beach bag). Ray ban is just as good as the others. I like Maui Jim better but more out of preference than an articulable quality issue between the two.

I don’t get the bespoke comment? Ray bans are mass produced off the rack mass accessible options.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what makes ray bans low quality? Don’t Maui Jim and ray ban generally have the best polarized lenses? I have ray bans, Maui Jim, revo, and vuarnet in the rotation now (and a pair of oakleys as beaters in the beach bag). Ray ban is just as good as the others. I like Maui Jim better but more out of preference than an articulable quality issue between the two.

I don’t get the bespoke comment? Ray bans are mass produced off the rack mass accessible options.

Well the examples you used - ray bans are made by luxotica which makes for Prada (for example). present day ray bans made in Italy by luxotica aren’t considered very good on these forums. Materials used / lenses etc.

Maui Jims are decent. But they’re really ugly unless your on the beach. They’re sport sunglasses.

ultimately, to say that Maui Jim’s are the same as Chanel or Tom Ford sunglasses is silly. I wouldn’t wear wrap around sunglasses with a tuxedo, much like I wouldn’t wear sandals with a tuxedo. I don’t care if they’re the finest sandals in the world, they’re still out of place. It comes down to “Style.”

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Well the examples you used - ray bans are made by luxotica which makes for Prada (for example). present day ray bans made in Italy by luxotica aren’t considered very good on these forums. Materials used / lenses etc.

Maui Jims are decent. But they’re really ugly unless your on the beach. They’re sport sunglasses.

ultimately, to say that Maui Jim’s are the same as Chanel or Tom Ford sunglasses is silly. I wouldn’t wear wrap around sunglasses with a tuxedo, much like I wouldn’t wear sandals with a tuxedo. I don’t care if they’re the finest sandals in the world, they’re still out of place. It comes down to “Style.”

so tom Ford are similar to women wearing Chanel glasses? (That was the comparison, not Maui Jim to Chanel). Style over function? But the lenses are lower quality? (My wife has a bunch of Chanel glasses, I get it, they have a time and place. But day to day wear (we live in the tropics) they are almost like a costume accessory moreso than functioning sun glasses)

Are the Tom Ford and peoples glasses any good? Or are they purely for show?

you should check Maui Jim catalogue. Those wrap around sport ones are cool while paddle boarding but they have a ton of models and plenty are traditional looking. Maybe not a Chanel like fashion forward design for tuxedo occasions, but they look good for day to day wear.

and I don’t think Maui Jim are the same as Tom Ford or Oliver peoples. I would say they are better for when you actually need sunglasses. If you are looking for an accessory maybe not?

Last edited:

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
For those who endorse Persol, are they good lenses or are they fashion glasses? I like their look.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so tom Ford are similar to women wearing Chanel glasses? (That was the comparison, not Maui Jim to Chanel). Style over function? But the lenses are lower quality? (My wife has a bunch of Chanel glasses, I get it, they have a time and place. But day to day wear (we live in the tropics) they are almost like a costume accessory moreso than functioning sun glasses)

Are the Tom Ford and peoples glasses any good? Or are they purely for show?

you should check Maui Jim catalogue. Those wrap around sport ones are cool while paddle boarding but they have a ton of models and plenty are traditional looking. Maybe not a Chanel like fashion forward design for tuxedo occasions, but they look good for day to day wear.

and I don’t think Maui Jim are the same as Tom Ford or Oliver peoples. I would say they are better for when you actually need sunglasses. If you are looking for an accessory maybe not?

My general feeling is that Tom Ford sunglasses are as good as, if not better than, persol. Oliver people’s have a decent reputation (no experience), but my understanding is that they were better back in the day - same with persol. It’s funny you mentioned ray bans, because they’re made by the same company as persol, in the same factory, just with lower quality materials for lenses and frames.

maui Jim does not have a very robust catalogue when I looked a few years ago. Like you said, they’re great for kayaking. Not great for day to day.

I think the argument you are making is stronger when you talk about those small bespoke eyewear firms in France (I’m blanking on the name). I, personally, wear salt optical frames for normal glasses, so I understand what you’re trying to say. But, Maui Jim’s look isn’t for me, (and I have a pair that I never wear). Same with oakleys.

I’ve had a range of Tom Ford’s over the past 10 years. No issues except for when I stepped on a pair - the frame was bent.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the brands being tossed about are all around the same QUALITY - they're stylistic differences. So, if a person likes the style of a $200 Maui Jim as much as a $400 pair, they're not getting better quality with the $400 pair.
My 2 cents is choose from any being discussed based on style as long as:
1. Polarized adds real benefits for glare - especially if you'll be near/on water
2. Consider the lens color. They have different features that can matter - Grey lenses block the most light but they reduce contrast and because they block so much light they don't, IMO, make good glasses for driving. So, do some reading on the benefits/drawbacks of the different lens colors.
In any case, if you wear them a lot sooner or later you're going to get a significant scratch, break them or lose them (my wife's blew off on a boat ride) - just gonna happen. So, I wouldn't spend $400 on an everyday pair of sunglasses.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something's up with TF eyewear though...
I see them heavily discounted everywhere.
They also had them at Costco optical, in a case next to Randy Jackson signature models.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
My general feeling is that Tom Ford sunglasses are as good as, if not better than, persol. Oliver people’s have a decent reputation (no experience), but my understanding is that they were better back in the day - same with persol. It’s funny you mentioned ray bans, because they’re made by the same company as persol, in the same factory, just with lower quality materials for lenses and frames.

maui Jim does not have a very robust catalogue when I looked a few years ago. Like you said, they’re great for kayaking. Not great for day to day.

I think the argument you are making is stronger when you talk about those small bespoke eyewear firms in France (I’m blanking on the name). I, personally, wear salt optical frames for normal glasses, so I understand what you’re trying to say. But, Maui Jim’s look isn’t for me, (and I have a pair that I never wear). Same with oakleys.

I’ve had a range of Tom Ford’s over the past 10 years. No issues except for when I stepped on a pair - the frame was bent.

I get what you’re saying.

In My experience, not that it matters much to this conversation LOL, my wife has a bunch of those high price fashion brands (Chanel, Prada type glasses) that she sort of jokes about because they are terrible in terms of utility for blocking sun. She wears her revo and Maui Jim and vuarnet the most. But the fashion brand glasses are low quality (they are probably older, she hasn’t bought a pair in a while because they aren’t that good).

my rotation is a couple pairs of Maui Jim, pair of wayfarer ray bans, and a pair of wire frame vuarnet.

I do not wear them casually these days (the whole face mask thing makes them fog up). They are really for utility purposes.
My vuarnet are pretty nice in terms of dress style versatility. They are wire frame with a subtle look. But they are more delicate so they sit in a case in a drawer.

For my lifestyle, I use the glasses. One pair sits in the console of my car. Another pair sits on an end table for quick access to the pool or beach.
I don’t get too sentimental about them because they take a beating. Too much on and off to put them in the case each time, they sit loose, and they gain character marks as a result.
The way farer are a good every day glasses. Not too showy but not a sport glasses.
I have a real traditional Maui Jim that is not very sporty that gets a lot of use. Probably interchangeable with the wayfarer.
I have a Maui Jim banyan (the wrap around style, super light frame, sport glasses) that really is used for active wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads