• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Olive EGs

gefinzi

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a pair of EG balmoral captoes in olive. What I would like is a very dark olive with lots of antiquing such that it looks nearly black and would be mistaken for black from a distance.
Anyone think they could do this properly? In the archives there is one post with olive Dover's that look quite green, not what I'm after. Another picture of a wingtip is closer, but perhaps not quite there...

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a pair of olive boots recently and requested that they be antiqued more than usual. I don't want them to appear almost black, though, just to have more depth and variegation.

I think the olive will show through under strong sunlight or direct light, but in the evening they will look nearly black.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's a MTO pair of Cardiff/Southwolds that I had made up that are on the darker side...

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
those are nice shoes!
inlove.gif
you could always use some black wax polish to holp cover the color!

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my own personal pair of Nevis boots. They do look black at first glance.

eg_nevis_606_olive_leathersoul_2.jpg

Virginia Dandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
This is my own personal pair of Nevis boots. They do look black at first glance.

eg_nevis_606_olive_leathersoul_2.jpg

Tom - I seem to recall that you were a little underwhelmed by the color or level of antiquing at first. Did you ever send them back for another attempt?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen samples of both the olive and navy EG shoes in person and they are both very dark. They both looked almost black at first glance and I had to inspect the navy shoes very closely to tell they weren't black.

Since it's quite easy to darken shoes with black cream/polish, you could always make them darker, if the olive were too light. I wouldn't hesitate to buy over worries that they would look too obviously olive.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Here's a MTO pair of Cardiff/Southwolds that I had made up that are on the darker side...
Those look nice Andrew.

On the other end of the scale are the (slightly dark) Green Apple Berluti Club models...

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Virginia Dandy
Tom - I seem to recall that you were a little underwhelmed by the color or level of antiquing at first. Did you ever send them back for another attempt?

No, I didn't want to go through the trouble to do so. It was my fault for not being specific with the shade of olive.

The debate has gone back and forth between dark olive (that looks black until you take a closer look) or a brighter green like Bic's Dover. For me, I was looking for something that really stood out and caught everyone's attention as soon as I arrived.

Either way, my Nevis boots are wonderful. I suggest a pair to anyone.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I've seen samples of both the olive and navy EG shoes in person and they are both very dark. They both looked almost black at first glance and I had to inspect the navy shoes very closely to tell they weren't black.

There is some variation in the darkness of the blue that EG produces. The blue Dovers in LeatherSOUL's picture above are mine, and they're not as dark as they appear in the picture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads