• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oldest piece of clothing or shoes that you bought and still own?

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going out to do some yard work and as I was putting on my old trusty timberland work boots, it dawned on me that I have owned these since I was a sophomore in HS, which was back in 1992. I bought them b/c timberlands were becoming popular with the hip hop crowd at the time.
These are still my go to boots for doing any outdoor work.
So for me, the answer to the question is 17 yrs. How about you guys?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1991 Norwegian army Loakes (private purchase, the issued ones had bad rubber soles):
DSC00851.jpg

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
September 1989 I bought a Ralph Lauren OCBD that I still wear occasionally. Thing is indestructable and still looks in amazing shape.

I also have some shirts from 1991 that I still wear sometimes.

davidmross

Reaction score
17 years. Wow. There's not a damn thing that I could still fit into today that I owned in 1992.

I guess it would be a pair of Dr Martens 10 hole steel toe boots. Great for the weekend in a pair of jeans when it's 30 below zero.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love those Loakes.
I had a pair of Bally (from when they were good) half brogues bought in 1972 and worn until 1992, now retired.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was 5 in 1992
confused.gif
... um, I have a shirt from when I was 12 that is beat to hell. It's from a skateboarding brand.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
I was 5 in 1992
confused.gif
... um, I have a shirt from when I was 12 that is beat to hell. It's from a skateboarding brand.

some are young, some are older, some are in the middle...que sera

Felix Krull

Reaction score
I have a bespoke suit that I had commissioned in 1994. It is a three-button, double-vented, in a charcoal gray herringbone fabric. The trousers obviously look more worn than the coat, but based on looks alone one would say the suit is only a few years old. I have never dry-cleaned this suit. I have only pressed it and spot steamed it along the way. I have no doubt that this has added to its longeveity.

Steggy

Reaction score
Hmmm, only thing that comes to mind at the moment is a nike windbreaker that i took from my brother that he got in....97 or so.

Smartalox

Reaction score
I have a pair of black Dack's wingtips that my dad bought for me when I tturned 16. That's 19 years ago, and they still fit. awesome shoes and very solid. I've even kicked in a couple of doors with them.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectre
some are young, some are older, some are in the middle...que sera

Aaha. I have a 1992 Americas Cup (yachting) windbreaker that I took from my dad ... although I didn't buy it. Other than that, best I could think of is my first pair of 'true' dress shoes, a pair of captoe Mezlans, circa 05.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few cotton shorts made for Briggs & Riley that I bought in 1999. They seem indestructable. They only are worn for lounging around the house, but I swear I could wear them 24x7 if comfort were the only factor.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1986 Alan MacAfee (they used to make Prince Charles' Riding Boots). I bought these in London when the dollar was strong and they cost $76.00 US. They still look great. AM was later bought by Church's and the brand name lost. But these aren't my oldest, but I have the pic. Tomorrow I will post a pic of my oldest.

alan.jpg

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, they're fantastic PS. Those and Lucky Strike's Loakes. Just fabulous. I wish there was a process by which new shoes could get that way without having to wear them for 20 years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads