• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Older yachts---how bad of an idea?

summej2

Reaction score
How much of a potential money pit is an older yacht (e.g., a ~40 ft Hatteras Motor Yacht from the 70s)? The use would mostly be as a docked live-aboard, but with some local transit.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends on basically how sound it is, and how much of a new-boat appearance you want.

For classin wooden boats, figure annual maintenance of 25-30% of cost. Which is why they cost so much less than new boats.

vc2000

Reaction score
I beat others to the punch...

The topic of yachts came up and Morgan's neighbor said, "I understand that
you own a yacht, Mr. Morgan."
"Yes, I do." Morgan replied.
"How much does it cost to run?" his neighbor asked.
"Why do you ask?" Morgan inquired.
"Because," his neighbor replied, "I am interested in buying one."
"My good man," said Morgan, "if you have to ask how much it costs
to run, my answer is: Don't buy one!"

The old joke is that the happiest day of a boat owner is the day he buys the boat and the second happiest is the day he sells it...

But seriously a boat can be a major money pit. Concordia addressed the costs associated with the boat. Most docks don't allow live-aboards with zoning which requires more services. The costs for a dock can easily hit $1k a month...

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vc2000
The costs for a dock can easily hit $1k a month...

That much I've looked into. But in terms of having one inspected, or estimating future repairs, I'm out of my league.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Two happiest days in a boat owners life?

1. Day he buys it.
2. Day he sells it.

smile.gif

Oops. Someone beat me to it. Better to rent imho.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Two happiest days in a boat owners life?

1. Day he buys it.
2. Day he sells it.

smile.gif

Oops. Someone beat me to it. Better to rent imho.

I don't know... My father loved his boat. He was very sad to sell it. Anyone buying a boat should be honest about why they want it. If you've got lots of money to blow, then it doesn't really matter. For most people, it will eat in to other areas of their life. My father used to live on the boat during the summer, so it was worth the costs. Of course, what he enjoyed was sailing, not owning a boat. Some people just like to own a boat so that they can say they have one. I had bosses a few years back that had purchased one together and they NEVER used it. At most they took it out a couple times per summer. It was a 40ft motor boat iirc. They finally sold it for far less than they had paid for it, and of course it drained money from they pockets while they owned it.

It sounds like you want to get some use out of yours. It could be pretty cool to live on a boat, but it would have to be some boat imo.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
My father's boat transformed him from a Type A volcanic jerk into a Type AAAAAA++++++ near-homicidal psychopath. Buyer beware.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
My father's boat transformed him from a Type A volcanic jerk into a Type AAAAAA++++++ near-homicidal psychopath. Buyer beware.

You still have daddy issues?
laugh.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
You still have daddy issues?
laugh.gif

He just got a new boat. You want to go out to sea with him?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
He just got a new boat. You want to go out to sea with him?

That depends. What kind of boat?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Nordhavn. Sailing days are over. He wants to circumnavigate the globe.
sarcasm.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's cool. I hadn't heard of nordhavn but I looked at their website and they've got some pretty cool boats. They look like workhorses compared to the streamlined yachts i normally see pictures of.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
They are the Hummers of the sea.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So let me ask... Are those fancy-looking italian boats not really suitable for rough seas? Are they more for looking good docked or a day trip than being put to hard use? Not that I'll be buying either in the near future, but it makes me wonder.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't know. I've only been out on the open sea on Navy ships and ocean liners. I've sailed SF Bay many, many times, and cruised the CA coast a lot, but never ventured farther out than the Farallones or the Channel Islands or Catalina.

This is papa's experiment, and he is welcome to it. Color me skeptical.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads