• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) What Are You Wearing Now/Today? Part II - pictures only - no discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
well i think the guy in that photo can pass for late 30's/early 40's...probably no older. I mean Brad Pitt is in his mid 40's and he looks really young for that age. So he has friends who are late teens/early 20's...not unfathomable especially if he works in a creative or artistic field.

Read my post.

gmku

Reaction score
i'm still trying to figure out why internet trolls engage in what they do...i mean i understand being bored, but there's gotta be a more entertaining form of entertainment.

We need love like everyone else.

gmku

Reaction score
well i think the guy in that photo can pass for late 30's/early 40's...probably no older. I mean Brad Pitt is in his mid 40's and he looks really young for that age. So he has friends who are late teens/early 20's...not unfathomable especially if he works in a creative or artistic field. That filipino dude who joined Journey is 40 and looks like any 20 year old filipino hypebeast walking around the Bay Area.
Well, I'm flattered, because I'm actually in my early 50s. But honestly, that's me, as of a few days ago. And it is photography, after all. I'm not saying this is how I really look because it's not. I'm made up, hair slicked back, glasses, big shirt and big jacket that hides my pouchy belly. & I've always been told I look young for my age.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Read my post.

i did, and the pics he posted of himself don't seem that inconsistent with what he said in those posts. He mentioned Calvins in his college period, that's probably early 90's/late 80's so yeah 20 years ago or "a few decades" (few probably used liberally and didnt have to be talkin bout 30 or more years, besides going that far back Calvins weren't even in)

gmku

Reaction score
Calvins were post college, actually. And they were horrible.

Listen, people, I started out as a 135 pound runt my freshman year in college. After four years, I was barely 150. Then I got a commission in the Air Force and got really fit and after I left, I stayed with a healthy lifestyle, diet, running, all that. Beer is showing up in the pot belly you can't really see there--that and my life has become more sedentary since I've become a freelance writer. But other than that, my physique has not changed all that much. I'm not your average obese white American middle-aged male. (Meaning no offense to anyone here who is, of course.)

But as I say, too, you're looking at "art class" photos, not realistic self-portraiture. I intentionally pulled a few tricks to try to look a little younger than I am.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Random dig at HK people here F2B, but what's with HK kids wearing oversized t-shirts that say CALVIN on them? I would imagine that it's counterfeit, I don't think even ck would make shirts that ugly, but why do they think that calvin klein is something good on their shirt? Or is it because 70% of them are named Kalvin/Calvin?

/rant

gmku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
^^^^ Decent photographs though.
Thanks, I was going to post my damned Sticky Fingers parody, but now I'm gun shy. Sheesh... EDIT: Oh what the hell. I need that freaking third photo entry. I'm not proud of crotch shots, but you guys know the LP cover, right? Same old 501s, Sticky Fingers LP (first pressing copy, VG+/EX, complete with zipper).
IMG_7037.jpg

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't think people do that **** here in HK any more...that was big in the 90's though. Was watching an old ass movie on TV where Jan Lamb wore a black long sleeve shirt that just said "DKNY" on the chest in a box.

but yeah Hong Kong people aren't the biggest fans of understatement. Most of Joyce's buy for Yohji S/S 07 was those garbage ass shirts that had the words "YOHJI YAMAMOTO" plastered all over the chest and back and i think those were the only items that got bought. People here will go with accessory choices totally incongruent to their actual standing in society, i.e. a really shabbily dressed middle aged housewife wearing market clothes with a Gucci bag.

Yesterday on the MTR ride back home I saw the most disgusting thing...kid wearin a Rolling Stones X Mastermind t-shirt, Neighborhood jeans, Gucci belt and bag (matching monogram color) and Bapestas. I bet dude can't even name 5 Rolling Stones songs on the spot and liked the shirt cause it had the MMJ skull and bones.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I would put Calvin's popularity in Asian countries up to 2001-02 or so.

Sometimes it's hard to understand from a SF-trained, American perspective though. For example, Abercrombie & Fitch is "the thing" now in the UK, and they even have a flagship store on Savile Row, of all places
eek.gif
. I heard they're really popular in Japan as well, so much for the SF/sufu Japanese bias =). Or that Tommy Hilfiger has good brand recognition in Germany, where they actually make decent stuff.

Being from a neighboring country, I agree with F2B's opinion re: taste. I think this applies to most Asian countries actually, where an overwhelming majority of fashion buyers are the nouve riche.

BTW, F2B, can you really seize up the brands someone else's wearing just with a glance. Damn...
worship.gif

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean Brad Pitt is in his mid 40's and he looks really young for that age.

Have you seen him in the occasional pic without makeup? But you're right about gmku possibly being in his 40's. I mean, with a pair of shades on I would never have guessed that Iggy Pop is 61.

gmku

Reaction score
We rockers tend to age well. (I'm not really a rock star, but I like to act like I am.)

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^ I would put Calvin's popularity in Asian countries up to 2001-02 or so.

Sometimes it's hard to understand from a SF-trained, American perspective though. For example, Abercrombie & Fitch is "the thing" now in the UK, and they even have a flagship store on Savile Row, of all places
eek.gif
. I heard they're really popular in Japan as well, so much for the SF/sufu Japanese bias =). Or that Tommy Hilfiger has good brand recognition in Germany, where they actually make decent stuff.

Being from a neighboring country, I agree with F2B's opinion re: taste. I think this applies to most Asian countries actually, where an overwhelming majority of fashion buyers are the nouve riche.

BTW, F2B, can you really seize up the brands someone else's wearing just with a glance. Damn...
worship.gif

i think SF and SZ are a bit distinct from other forums because there's more knowledge to the brands that are loved and discussed here. Sufu i would not quite put on the same level as there's a lot of brand worship, but little understanding of said brands (other than superdenim which i really think has always been their best resource).

TC1990

Reaction score
IMG_0857.jpg

Not today, but my girlfriend and I before Prom on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads