• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) What Are You Wearing Now/Today? Part II - pictures only - no discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sauwan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kodiak
Do any of you have AIM? It'd be a big help if you hit me up, my SN is yedsaiejoe.
eh.gif
bounce2.gif
But seriously, go look through this thread, find someone who you like (my three favorite posters are Braidkid, Saucemaster, and Singular, in no particular order, to give you a place to start. The last likely will not be your style...) and try to do what they do. No one is going to hold your hand through this process, you just need to look and learn what works best for you and then go from there.

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sauwan
eh.gif
bounce2.gif

That's close to what my reaction was too in reading that.
smile.gif

selbsttatig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
You may have inadvertently made the post of the year.

laugh.gif

Anyway, Kodiak, I was recently in your situation. Well sort of. I wouldn't say I dressed badly at all but I just wasn't particularly fond of what I was wearing. Finding this forum (and SuFu to a degree) helped a whole lot. Like everyone else has said just look through this whole thread and find stuff you like. If you have any questions about brands or wear to get a specific item people will be more than helpful.

DBoon

Reaction score
Kodiak:

First, scrape together as much money as you can (perhaps by Buffalo Exchanging a lot of your current wardrobe). Take a road trip to San Francisco and visit a shop called Self Edge. A man named Kiya works there, and he is one of the premier denim dealers in North America. Buy 1 pair of jeans from him (will cost like $200-300 bucks), 2 if you can afford it, and this will last you everyday for at least 1-2 years (seriously). Then buy a ton of solid color v-neck / crew neck t-shirts, a sweater, some Vans Eras or Chuck Taylor Purcells...just really basic stuff (they call them 'basics'). Avoid logos or graphics at all costs.

This is going to give you a clean slate to work with, and other than the jeans, everything will be relatively inexpensive. Once you learn more about what is available out in the world / what you think looks nice, then you can try experimenting. But it's not cool to spend hundreds of dollars on something that looked good on that dude on the internet, but isn't functional or doesn't feel right to you.

BTW, a lot of the looks that people go for on places like StyleForum are rooted in European fashion design which generally make things SPECIFICALLY for skinny guys with your build.

and WHATEVER YOU DO, do NOT go into the Men's Clothing forum. Ever. At least until you graduate college.

Brutus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon
Kodiak:

This is going to give you a clean slate to work with, and other than the jeans, everything will be relatively inexpensive. Once you learn more about what is available out in the world / what you think looks nice, then you can try experimenting. But it's not cool to spend hundreds of dollars on something that looked good on that dude on the internet, but isn't functional or doesn't feel right to you.

I guess you must be taking the StyleForum discounts into consideration.

yayo

Reaction score
Hmm... First WAYWN post... Nice spring day today....

whatareyouwearing032redwp5.jpg

Shades of Greige
Levi's 514
Sperry

DBoon

Reaction score
Brutus: For what it's worth, I meant that for what I advised him to get (jeans + plain tees + simple low profile shoes), everything other than the jeans (plain tees + simple low profile shoes) would be inexpensive.

thatguywiththething

Reaction score
shirt- gildan white break even band shirt
jeans- cheap monday unwashed 32x32
shoes- converse black leather velcro straps
very simple and plain. i like it

Halifamous

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon
BTW, a lot of the looks that people go for on places like StyleForum are rooted in European fashion design which generally make things SPECIFICALLY for skinny guys with your build.
Just a correction, most of the inspiration for the looks here is based on americana and japanese designs. There is very little that I would consider european about most of the looks in this thread.

jkennett

Reaction score
Dboon- No offense, but all you're telling him is to adopt the styleforum uniform. There are a ton of different looks out there and getting (for example) apc ns and converse isn't exactly the most creative base out there. If you want an all-american kind of look... then that's fine, but there are a million other styles out there. I do agree with the non-labels stance though.

I just find it really frustrating that every noob comes in and gets the same advice for creating a wardrobe. I think of it as advice on how to look completely boring, and spend quite a bit of money doing so. Can you imagine someone like cottonduck on sufu or maharlika creating their personal looks from a base of Nudies and Jack Purcells? I agree much more with finding an aesthetic that pleases you, and slowly obtaining higher quality garments that fit that look. You could find inspiration in this thread, or you might find it elsewhere (bands, subcultures, the streets, runway shows, etc). I'd suggest that he finds a look he likes, and that he can truly identify with, and then research the hell out of it to see what would be the best apparel to obtain that style and make it his own. That's my thought anyways.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Halifamous
Just a correction, most of the inspiration for the looks here is based on americana and japanese designs. There is very little that I would consider european about most of the looks in this thread.

there's a few posters on here who's aesthetic sensibilities i would say are pretty european...fuuma and socal come to mind. And even my Yohji aesthetic, while coming from a Japanese designer, I've always interpreted as closer to Paris than Tokyo itself.

If you're on a budget, go get some muji v-necks in plain white and light grey, and a few pairs of Gap slim fit chinos in khaki, navy, and maybe black, splurge on a pair of Margiela german army sneakers...you can basically wear that everyday and style over most people out there.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkennett
Dboon- No offense, but all you're telling him is to adopt the styleforum uniform.

Yeah, I kinda cringed when I read that, too. It's an easy enough starting point but damn.

My advice is what's been echoed already: look around, take notes on pieces you like, and slowly build a wardrobe around that particular aesthetic.

Another thing I'd say is that as a newbie you're going to see a lot of people wearing similar brands, brands that you'll likely have a hard time finding anywhere near you to see in person and/or that are seemingly super-expensive without justification. There's nothing wrong, whether you're just starting out or are a jaded LA-area designer transplant, with finding labels with similar designs at lower prices (H&M, etc.). You'll at least have a starting point in which to experiment your new tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads