• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) What Are You Wearing Now/Today? Part II - pictures only - no discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

entropy kid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
Compared to SunnO))), yup, I agree. I think the bigger venues, like the Wiltern tonight kill the atmosphere of seeing bands like this play, watching them at the Troubadour a few years ago was probably as good as it gets. I just like to support decent bands when they're in town.
So you think I should consider myself lucky to see them in May in my favourite club here which is so small that band members often get their beer during the shows themselves since its only 10 steps from stage to bar anyway...
tounge.gif

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahblahblah
I didn't even know where to start with his clothes, it hit me off guard. I think I'm a pretty average guy and if I saw him walking around I would not be sure if he was dressing up as a woman. That might be ignorant, and I apologize if it is, but I think that'd be the general reaction to his clothes.
I'm confused about why people jumped on you for being "ignorant." I'm pretty sure that Chris's champions around here often praise his looks for their androgyny. You are correct that many of his pieces -- and the way he wears them -- have a feminine vibe.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asch
I'm confused about why people jumped on you for being "ignorant." I'm pretty sure that Chris's champions around here often praise his looks for their androgyny. You are correct that many of his pieces -- and the way he wears them -- have a feminine vibe.

I think the thing that upset people was not that blah doesn't "get" Chris's sense of style.... it's that he was just rude. Manners do apply here as well as in real life...

If your first post to the thread is a comment like "what the hell is this" and you then proceed to confess to everyone that you don't know much about fashion, you should expect some criticism.

Would you walk into a new restaurant for the first time, look at someone's dinner and announce to everyone there "Hey, that smells weird!" and expect to be treated any other way?

Brian SD

Reaction score
I respect Chris's style quite a bit, though I think I dug it more when he stuck to more standard looks. His first fit ever, with the black cardigan and a white t-shirt with sunglasses print is to this day one of my favorites. In one of his other longer-ago posts, he was wearing a red/blue check buttondown and I remember loving that one too.

That said, he's incredibly creative. I would never walk out of the house like that, but he certainly has his own style and he does it well. Androgyny is part of his fits and if you don't like that - cool. If you do - ok.

Criticism is certainly accepted here. You would have been banned a long time ago if it weren't, Arethusa. Blahblahblah deserved the flak he got because he looks like an alter-ego username, where an actual poster created a new user ID just to talk **** about someone behind the curtain of anonymity.

I have a feeling, in the end either way, that Chris appreciates watching the cat-fights unfold over his style.

There are people who seriously look like they get dressed in the morning SOLELY for the internet. Like they got up in the morning, put on their Cdiem and 38 layers of Ann D and N(N) and Rick Owens, set up their tripod, posted on the net (to much rejoicing and +repping) then got in their normal clothes and went to work. They look like they're trying to achieve a "runway" aesthetic, and sure, they succeed, and its kind of laughable because I imagine the kind of person who is young and skinny enough to look good in this clothing and is wealthy enough to afford it cannot possibly be as depressed or angry a person as their photos leads you to believe. They seem like the type who will sit down all alone at a coffee shop for an hour thinking "what are people thinking about me?"

That said, what I like about Chris is that he achieves the fashion, runway aesthetic, but does it in a way that he actually looks like an interesting person, not a spoiled douche. Off the top of my head, Lowrey and Coldrice are some others that dress in ridiculously expensive **** and still look good.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
That said, what I like about Chris is that he achieves the fashion, runway aesthetic, but does it in a way that he actually looks like an interesting person, not a spoiled douche. Off the top of my head, Lowrey and Coldrice are some others that dress in ridiculously expensive **** and still look good.

The stuff coldrice puts up on the buy/sell thread on SuFu (and how often he's selling new items) totally blows my mind... I can't begin to imagine what his closet looks like
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
^^^^ GS! I'm surprised by the cut of the S & H trousers, they look good, I presumed they would be chasing mass accounts by offering the "everyman" fit in all categories, I guess not, unless you sized down 5?

I was too man. Considering I dont really like the brand's aesthetic these were a surprise. And they're actual size!!

What I don't get are their suits. I tried one on at S/S in my size 38, it fit fine in the shoulder and chest, but the torso was so tight I couldnt wear it. Then the matching 38 trousers were quite big in the waist. So basically the guy who could fit into the jacket couldnt wear the trousers without tailoring it down a size or two. really odd proportions

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
There are people who seriously look like they get dressed in the morning SOLELY for the internet. Like they got up in the morning, put on their Cdiem and 38 layers of Ann D and N(N) and Rick Owens, set up their tripod, posted on the net (to much rejoicing and +repping) then got in their normal clothes and went to work.

I can't be the only one who can't imagine chris outside in a real world environment. Could you picture him standing next to you as you buy tube socks at the Gap or ordering an Orange Julius at the mall?

I simply have a hard time suspending belief long enough to picture him outside his own bathroom; really, he's the only person on here that I've had that problem with.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I can't be the only one who can't imagine chris outside in a real world environment. Could you picture him standing next to you as you buy tube socks at the Gap or ordering an Orange Julius at the mall?

I simply have a hard time suspending belief long enough to picture him outside his own bathroom; really, he's the only person on here that I've had that problem with.

I'm curious if anyone knows what city Chris lives in? That would be the biggest factor of how he fits into his environment. If he lived in west LA or NYC he wouldnt be such an oddity...if he was Fok's neighbor in Boise....now that's a different can of tuna

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I'm curious if anyone knows what city Chris lives in?
I thought I read something he wrote a while back about living in a rather unfashionable region of the u.s.... Unless he's relocated since then... In any case, I don't think he's pulling from his surroundings for his look.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I can, and have experienced a large number of poor-man's versions at malls in Richmond (a suburb of Vancouver) where more than a few attempt the same style. It's somewhat disconcerting to feel like a very small minority standing in those malls surrounded by people half your (my) size.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could never understand peoples fascination with Chucks, especially Purcells. I'm always looking for an alternative canvas sneaker. In addition to another pair of lacoste I already had, yesterday I picked up these:
140j95l.jpg

ve3alw.jpg

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ I actually like those a lot. How well made are they? Most lacoste shoes are made like ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads